BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here at the fest as well as being a new BMW owner. Or rather an owner of an older BMW who is new at BMW ownership. Good grief...

So I saw, fell in love with and purchased a 1986 325e 4-door 5-speed. It's in stunning condition (even when not looking through the eyes of love, it's in at least impressive condition).

I've read through all the posts here, learned some things, and even went out and bought some Mother's Back to Black based on a post here. So thanks to all of you for your insights.

Now I have a question. On the back deck, facing the window, and really only viewable from the outside, although they are on the inside, are a line of louvered vents. What are they for? While I don't have an owner's manual (any ideas on how to get one?), my sister in Denver has one but couldn't find anything in it about them.

I followed a link here for a how-to article about fixing a blower motor that runs only in high speed. Anyone ever done that? fixed it that is? Where can I find replacement resistors once I get to them?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same problem with my blower motor only working on high. I tried cleaning it but that did not fix it. I found a resistor on another forum along with the a/c switch which I also needed. I replaced the a/c switch first and was going to replace resistor but the fan began working on all settings after just replacing a/c switch, how?, I am still not sure but it did fix it. If you need a resistor I will sell you the one I have just let me know. I think I have $30 in it including shipping.
I agree with nc318 I think what you are talking about on the back window are for the rear defroster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smokinponys said:
I agree with nc318 I think what you are talking about on the back window are for the rear defroster.
I thought that as well. However, there are wires in the window glass, and no matter how I slide the mysterious climate control sliders, no air comes out. Hmmm...

I'm getting into the blower motor today. I'll let you know about the resistor.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those are wires in your rear glass but they have nothing to do with your climate control sliders, vent selectors. There is a button , should be next to hazard switch, that turns the rear defrost on and off. The wires have small electric current whichs melts frost/ice.
You should feel no air through these. :confused:
Your blower motor only working on high is completely unrelated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
delphini said:
Velcomen!!!!!!!:bigpimp:
Thank you!

I didn't mean to make myself look like a dork, but I think I did. I understand the wires and melting frost and the button next to the hazard light. What I meant to mean was that if there is already a system for defrosting, why would there also be vents for it? I was meaning that moving the climate control sliders didn't make any air come out of the vents, not the wires.

:rolleyes:

I can see how what I wrote would make one think I was waiting for air to come out of the wires, which would be a funny thing to see. Someone waiting, not the air...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts