BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the seals on the '01 530i with 166k. Needless to say they were like pieces of stone. Also replaced the pre-cat O2 sensors and valve cover gaskets. Start to finish was 4 hours for my indy mechanic. Seems a bit smoother revving at low end, too soon to report anything else. Will check in when break in period is done... Well worth doing I believe. :thumbup:

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Congrats! Should make a huge difference!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Good to hear someone else made the jump--too many think that they have no problems when it comes to Vanos seals----in reality--all of our cars need this mod to make the cars run to spec.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I agree, all 6-cyl (high mileage especially) seals should be replaced if you want to see an improvement in engine idle, smoothness, and torque. When I see people always looking for a little more HP through CAI, chips, etc. they really should try replacing their VANOS seals first.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
I agree, all 6-cyl (high mileage especially) seals should be replaced if you want to see an improvement in engine idle, smoothness, and torque. When I see people always looking for a little more HP through CAI, chips, etc. they really should try replacing their VANOS seals first.
When is the ideal time to replace the seals?

I have just over 70,000 miles

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
You should replace the seals--there's no magic number of miles to have on the car--the OEM seals have been shown to be worn out in as little as 10k miles...replace your seals--you'll love what it does for the car.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
You should replace the seals--there's no magic number of miles to have on the car--the OEM seals have been shown to be worn out in as little as 10k miles...replace your seals--you'll love what it does for the car.
is there a DIY or something?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts