BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for the driving/racing guys...

When you come to a sharp turn and are in say 4th gear, and are going to downshift prior to entering the turn and determine that you will be in 2nd gear upon exit.

Would it casuse harm to go directly from fourth to second (rev-matched, double-clutched of course)? Is it better for the driveline components to row through (4th, 3rd, 2nd)?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Currently i go directly into the gear, skipping the gear(s) i wont be needing at that time.

It doesnt seem to harm if the engine & road speed are correct. The shifter usually feels like it wants to go into that gear (kinda "pulls" it in for you)... but what do i know???

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
As long as you are rev matching it shouldnt be an issue. Altough if you miss the shift it could result in an expensive mistake.
Its my understanding that most times drivers go through the gear box rather than shift to the lowest gear they need.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've been skipping gears my entire life (meaning 15 years of manual driving) and haven't had any problems...

·
Banned
0 Posts
Thanks for the response. Currently i go directly into the gear, skipping the gear(s) i wont be needing at that time.

It doesnt seem to harm if the engine & road speed are correct. The shifter usually feels like it wants to go into that gear (kinda "pulls" it in for you)... but what do i know???
I will skip gears upshifting if I am in traffic. I only do it downshifting when I am lazy. The whole point of doownshifitng into a corner is to keep the wait distribution over the rear wheels. If you are rev matching and skipping gears, not only is it lazy but the speed difference between two gears will upset the balance more than helping.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Depends-if you're dropping a substantial amount of speed such as coming off the freeway and braking heavily, going down two gears works fine. What you lose is the engine braking. If you are trailbraking into a corner you can modulate the weight shift to the front a little better going through the gears.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,315 Posts
When approaching a turn/corner, always scrub off as much speed as necessary(while braking in a straight line) to allow entering the turn in the gear you want to be in....I routinely downshift 2 gears at a clip (I`m OLD SCHOOL....I double-clutch a lot :) A quick corner exit is a balancing act, i.e., you want to be in a gear that`s in the fat part of the engine`s power band, so you can apply as much throttle as conditions allow (caution needed when water, gravel, or whatever may be present). This procedure, when done properly, seperates a truly great car from it`s mundane bretheren....3-series really shine brightly here....
Happy Motoring !

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
597 Posts
I will skip gears upshifting if I am in traffic. I only do it downshifting when I am lazy. The whole point of doownshifitng into a corner is to keep the wait distribution over the rear wheels. If you are rev matching and skipping gears, not only is it lazy but the speed difference between two gears will upset the balance more than helping.
Hmm? If it's rev-matched nicely there will be very little shift in weight. If it's perfect, there will be none.

As for the point of downshifting, it's to have power coming out of the corner.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Hmm? If it's rev-matched nicely there will be very little shift in weight. If it's perfect, there will be none.

Downshifting induces engine braking. Downshifting 2 gears will give more engine braking and higher RPMs.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I've skipped on the street, I don't skip on the track. I don't want to miss a shift, and the speed differential isn't usually a 2-gear skip either. I can't think of a corner that I'd do a 4-2 shift for, not in my car anyway.

I have driven an paddle shifted car where I'd click twice fast to go from 4 to 2. It didn't stop at 3 first, it just went down to 2. Totally valid thing to do.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Having power out of the corner is about being in the right gear for the speed. Downshifting into the corner is used for engine braking and balance at the edge of adhesion.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Having power out of the corner is about being in the right gear for the speed. Downshifting into the corner is used for engine braking and balance at the edge of adhesion.
Right, and to be in the right gear you shift, and you don't want to shift mid-corner, and you don't want to shift after the corner, so you do it before.

And if you're shifting before the corner you are braking (with your actual brakes), and the engine braking effect for half a second before you turn-in much less than the braking effect from your brakes I would argue... so that's not really the point of downshifting imo.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys... I feel much more comfortable with my driving style now. As always the forum members deliver!

jsonli, I agree that the point of downshifting is to have power upon exit. Properly matched revs are necessary so that the rear end wont come out from under you.

Bob, as always I appreciate your input. Although i think we've touched on it before, I'm definitely with you on Double-clutching (it just feels so much better).

·
Keeping it surreal
43,315 Posts
Right, and to be in the right gear you shift, and you don't want to shift mid-corner, and you don't want to shift after the corner, so you do it before.

And if you're shifting before the corner you are braking (with your actual brakes), and the engine braking effect for half a second before you turn-in much less than the braking effect from your brakes I would argue... so that's not really the point of downshifting imo.
*Zackly*....

·
Banned
0 Posts

When you are coming into a corner hot you are using everything in your power to brake late and stay on course. This is done with a combination of engine braking and actual brakes. Granted, its all just practice of you arent at 9/10ths. Casual driving isnt going to require all this effort. Thats my point and what I am trying to relay to the OP.

·
Registered
597 Posts
When you are coming into a corner hot you are using everything in your power to brake late and stay on course. This is done with a combination of engine braking and actual brakes. Granted, its all just practice of you arent at 9/10ths. Casual driving isnt going to require all this effort. Thats my point and what I am trying to relay to the OP.
I understand your drift that certain things that are optimal on the track aren't really necessary on the street, but at the same time you certainly can't be advocating that he not downshift and lug through right turns in 4th gear.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I understand your drift that certain things that are optimal on the track aren't really necessary on the street, but at the same time you certainly can't be advocating that he not downshift and lug through right turns in 4th gear.
Of course not. Lets put it this way. Downshifting is done as preparation for the corner AND the exit. At 9/10ths skipping gears is bad idea IMO. You have to Rev higher to match the transmission which is heavier braking and you could put yourself in position to miss a gear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts