BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use to remove the residue that is left on the bottom side skirts once the water or rain has drained through the drainage holes. General washing doesn't really seem to remove the "skid mark" nor has simple green. Is the only way to solve this problem to use a paint cleaner, polish and wax everytime I wash my car?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a sedan so there might be a difference. underneath each door there is a drainage hole for the water to run out. The water then runs out of the hole and down the side skirt. It has a tendency to leave a bad water stain or skid mark.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
brybarrett said:
I have a sedan so there might be a difference. underneath each door there is a drainage hole for the water to run out. The water then runs out of the hole and down the side skirt. It has a tendency to leave a bad water stain or skid mark.
hmm, i can honestly say i didnt notice, but i will check the next time i'm at my car.

·
fahrer
1,387 Posts
AFAIK, that's actually cosmoline (or something similar).

You're talking about the grease streaks running vertically
down the sideskirts, right?

I remember reading (here) that it would eventually wear off
enough to stop leaving marks, that the first year of ownership
would just be messy.

It comes off pretty well with just washing in my case.

In 3 months of ownership at the end of a TX summer, I can
certainly tell it's lightened up quite a bit - seems to be better
every time I wash the car.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Leave the doors open and let em drip a while. Also some of this is from water trapped on the doorsills so wipe those off too.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If you scrub hard enough and you have waxed relatively recently, it pretty much comes off. If it gets too bad and won't come off, I always went after just that spot with hand polish and hand wax.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts