BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post here, so please bare with me.

Recently purchased a 7 Series E66 2008. Am very pleased with it, however now i'm having quite a few issues with it and have struggled to pinpoint the solution so far.

-The iDrive freezes occasionally
-The Navi screen is black
-No FM/AM/DAB/TV/DVD stations are listed
-Cannot alter any settings or check cars performance

So far i have tested each module in the back of the car using a fiber loop to close the circuit (hoping to find that a faulty module was causing the issue), however to date no modules in the boot whilst using the loop have solved the problem.

I have unplugged the negative connection from the battery and reconnected it, i can see that each module is getting a signal as they have a red light, however at the same time the cd player in the front of the car makes whirring noises and eventually stops making noises, after this point there are no more red lights on any of the fibre cables in the back. I can also confirm that before the cd player stops whirring, in the glove box there is a red light on the fibre cable which i on a loop - so i thought that this meant there is no MOST bus problems?

Also, there is no sound from the car, it doesn't make noises for anything, like low fuel etc.

I also have the seatbelt light on the dash permanently and of recent have the airbag light on also, no messages on idrive screen though. I have checked connections under drivers and passengers seat and all appears ok.

I'm thinking that the ask unit may be knackered, could anyone shed any light on it? Is there a way i can isolate the ask unit to check?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As i didn't fit the battery, i am not sure if it was registered to the car or not. Am i right in thinking that registering only affects the charging of the battery and not the output of it though?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
As i didn't fit the battery, i am not sure if it was registered to the car or not. Am i right in thinking that registering only affects the charging of the battery and not the output of it though?
No....because everything is controlled by the Power Module which uses the Battery for all the monitoring of the system.

Here's what it controls : :thumbup:

The Battery is controlled and monitored by the 'Power Module' fitted in the car!

The Power Module controls the following functions:

Power module functions

* Optimised charging
* Reduction of load-side peak consumption
* Shut-down of auxiliary consumer units
* Quiescent current monitoring
* Distribution mode
* Automatic electrical system isolation
* Load deactivation
* Electronic circuit breakers
* Central battery voltage notification
* Heated rear window (demister)
* Interior lights
* Boot lid and fuel filler flap control
* Data memory
* Fail-safe characteristics
* Check Control messages
* Diagnosis

Battery replacement

When a Battery Replacement is done this informs the Power Module of a battery change. The following operations are performed:

* The battery capacity is reset depending on the seasonal temperature.
* The current kilometre reading is stored.
* The stored battery statistical values (current, voltage, battery charge state) are deleted.
* The stored temperature statistical values are deleted.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Ok, this makes sense then. I will download the INPA software and get hold of a cable and see if i can do this, saying that, a dealer would only charge £40ish, right?
If you can get the INPA software you will have access to loads of mods and fault finding for the car.....and register the Battery ! ;)

Not sure how much dealer will charge now....i'd phone for a quote.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Once your happy the battery is fine and registered you can then use INPA to fault find the other issues you have.

Definitely sounds like one of the modules has failed....

the red fibre optic light should be LIT at any connection in the fibre optic loop you tap into 100% of the time (unless the module is bypassed of course...lol)

You can work your way back round the loop to see where the Red fibre optic light stops which means the module before it in the loop is not txing and is faulty on the Most bus but INPA should tell you anyway.

The diagram in the top right corner on Page 38 on the Doc below shows the Most Bus Loop order that the Modules go : ;)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=350108&d=1353377936

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whilst I wait for the right cable to be delivered for the INPA software, I managed to change out the ASK unit with a known working unit. It didn't make any difference which only makes the case for battery registration stronger. I have checked all the modules in the back and the ask unit module and all show the red light in the cable. However once the car has been on for a few moments the red light goes away. Hoping the INPA can pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the Info. I have used a fibre optic loop to isolate the module, but it does not allow everything else to come back to normal. Now I find also I have having the sos call function error on the dash, so should I get anther fibre optic loop cable and isolate the Bluetooth module as well? Still waiting on my INPA cable!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.