BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading through other posts about the 6 series GT and learning as much as I can. I have never owned a BMW, or any luxury car before. I've always had GM vehicles being in Michigan but I have been dreaming of a bmw for the past few years. After achieving some life goals and better financial stability I feel as though the 6 series GT is for me.

As BMW owners how do you feel your experience has been? Is there anything I should stay away from? Is a CPO the way to go. After researching this car for nearly a year I'm aware that it was only available as 2018 and 2019 models. It has been hard to find negative reviews but it also isn't the most common of vehicles. I appreciate it's uniqueness.

The vehicle I'm currently stalking is a 2018 model that is fairly loaded with ~25,000 miles and is a CPO.

The roads in Michigan are worse than a lot of 3rd world countries and beat the crap out of our vehicles. Most of my driving is local but we do like to take some occasional road trips. Being 6'4" staying comfortable in a vehicle isn't easy but it seems a lot of taller people really enjoy this model.

I just want a different driving experience then what I get with run of the mill domestic cars and the BMW's just speak to me. I'm just looking for any words of wisdom from those of you with more experience than me. Thank you for any and all assistance!

·
Registered
MY21 6GT 40i on order
3 Posts
Hope you will get a response, and I'll be following :)

Just placed an order for a new 640i, with production slot "sometime in the summer"... We still can have new ones in Europe, but the wait is loooong. Hope it's worth it :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's the best car I have ever owned by far. They seem to have thought of pretty much everything when they made these. Having such a large, luxurious car with a hatchback is hard to find. The similar Audi offering is not even close in ride quality and comfort. Our 535i GT was still in great shape but we decided to buy our 640i GT before there were none left with low miles and in perfect condition. Ours was a CPO with 35,000 KM and we saved $30,000 compared to the price when new.
I'm 6"1" and there is tons of room. I'm quite sure I could sit comfortably in the back seat behind a 6' plus driver.

If possible stay away from dealer servicing once the warranty has expired. We are in Quebec where the roads are the worst I have ever experienced in any country. Ours has the M package with 20" wheels which don't have much rubber to cushion the bumps and potholes. Our winter wheels are 18" and ride much smoother. If you can get one with the 19 inch wheels that were stock you might be happier.

·
Registered
MY21 6GT 40i on order
3 Posts
Thank you, Silver Shadow! This sounds encouraging!

If you were to name the things you love/don’t like about the car or things that surprised you, what would you list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I love the heated, ventilated, massage seats. I don't like the amount of time and attention it takes to get to the screen to turn on and adjust the massage seats though. I haven't learned the correct voice commands to do it either if that's possible.
I love the heads-up display. I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick but now that I have it, wow.
I love the larger trunk area with the single hatch opening. On the 535i GT I never used the small trunk and it added extra weight to the car for nothing.
I love the cruise control system and other driving aids. On longer drives it's very relaxing.
I have one beef concerning the windows. After a thaw and freeze up, if the windows freeze and don't open slightly when you open the door, when you close the door the window does not seal properly and there is a large amount of wind noise. At least three times last winter I had to use an old credit card to slide in between the bottom weather strip and the glass to break it free. I keep one an old card in the ashtray just for this reason.
I love the improved styling over the 535i GT.
I love the motor, transmission and brakes.
I'm sure there's plenty more things to love but that's it for now.
When it comes time to replace this amazing car, I sure hope there is something similar and worthy to replace it. I'm totally spoiled and can't imagine driving any lesser car now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the heated, ventilated, massage seats. I don't like the amount of time and attention it takes to get to the screen to turn on and adjust the massage seats though. I haven't learned the correct voice commands to do it either if that's possible.
I love the heads-up display. I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick but now that I have it, wow.
I love the larger trunk area with the single hatch opening. On the 535i GT I never used the small trunk and it added extra weight to the car for nothing.
I love the cruise control system and other driving aids. On longer drives it's very relaxing.
I have one beef concerning the windows. After a thaw and freeze up, if the windows freeze and don't open slightly when you open the door, when you close the door the window does not seal properly and there is a large amount of wind noise. At least three times last winter I had to use an old credit card to slide in between the bottom weather strip and the glass to break it free. I keep one an old card in the ashtray just for this reason.
I love the improved styling over the 535i GT.
I love the motor, transmission and brakes.
I'm sure there's plenty more things to love but that's it for now.
When it comes time to replace this amazing car, I sure hope there is something similar and worthy to replace it. I'm totally spoiled and can't imagine driving any lesser car now.
I really appreciate all of your insight. This is really solidifying my desire to get this car.

What is the expected lifespan of a BMW like this? After how many miles does a BMW usually become too costly to maintain? Or how long do most people keep one before they are looking for something else? I've never had a German and/or luxury car before so I just want to make sure I do my due diligence. Thank you again for all the insight!

·
Registered
559 Posts
The BMW inline 6 is basically bullet proof. It will outlast the rest of the car. When our 535 was 10 years old a few small electronic issues started to surface. 180,000 KM. I replaced both front wheel bearings and both front cv axles. The brakes were new when I bought it at 50,000 and I only replaced them once.
There was not a speck of rust on the body and very minor surface corrosion underneath.
If you have a good mechanic and buy your parts online (FCP Euro) they are not expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi, I had a 3 series GT which I thought was a great car. The 6 series is a bigger car with more tech. I would tell you to pay attention to the options on The car for the money. The must haves - heated seats and steering wheel, surround cameras, some safety features like blind spot are a must with this car. Nice to have - dynamic handling package, ventilated seats, if you haul people around the back then rear climate control. Some things you can probably do without - lane keeping (not reliable) the auto cruise control is ok but does not work well is rain and poor climate conditions. Some interesting features if you can find it - Royal red metallic paint looks great, dark brown interior is very nice if you can find it, bowers and Wilkins stereo. I have and m sport which for me looks way better but that is a matter of opinion. Test drive the car or a car to make sure you like it.

Most dealers don’t seem to really know the options as compared to blue book so The options probably will not cost you much more. If you look and are willing to ship the car you can find some good deals. I would recommend a CPO on this car with all of the tech. Some issues that I have had Are sunroof wouldn’t close documented in this forum and I had a rear door lock fail but otherwise the car has been pretty good. I agree with someone that said the engine will likely outlive the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I had a 3 series GT which I thought was a great car. The 6 series is a bigger car with more tech. I would tell you to pay attention to the options on The car for the money. The must haves - heated seats and steering wheel, surround cameras, some safety features like blind spot are a must with this car. Nice to have - dynamic handling package, ventilated seats, if you haul people around the back then rear climate control. Some things you can probably do without - lane keeping (not reliable) the auto cruise control is ok but does not work well is rain and poor climate conditions. Some interesting features if you can find it - Royal red metallic paint looks great, dark brown interior is very nice if you can find it, bowers and Wilkins stereo. I have and m sport which for me looks way better but that is a matter of opinion. Test drive the car or a car to make sure you like it.

Most dealers don’t seem to really know the options as compared to blue book so The options probably will not cost you much more. If you look and are willing to ship the car you can find some good deals. I would recommend a CPO on this car with all of the tech. Some issues that I have had Are sunroof wouldn’t close documented in this forum and I had a rear door lock fail but otherwise the car has been pretty good. I agree with someone that said the engine will likely outlive the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Those are excellent insights. I'll keep all of those in mind a I search for one. I'm definitely open to a nationwide search. The Co-pilot app is very good for finding stuff. Thank you for the advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts