BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year with our 2011 535i, the first diagnostic challenge has appeared: the "Driveline Malfunction" message. This shows up after I accelerate gently but firmly to merge into traffic lanes. It happens when I'm especially careful not to force a downshift under acceleration - so as not to disturb SWMBO. After switching off and restarting, the message disappears.

My very basic scan tool doesn't read a code, but instead flashes its yellow question-mark light and also flashes the "EV" icon. The scan tool owner's manual states that some monitors can't fully communicate with OBD until they have gone through a drive cycle that includes "enabling criteria". Google provides such a cycle, one that includes 4 steps:
1. Idle cold for 2 minutes, 10 seconds
2. Hold 20-30 mph for 3 minutes, 15 seconds
3. Hold 40-60 mph for about 15 minutes
4. Stop and idle in gear for about 5 minutes

Searches here and in the 5 series DIY have shed no light on drive cycle criteria, and only a few random comments about the "Driveline Malfunction" message.

Is performing this cycle likely to give my scan tool a code, or should I just go out and replicate the earlier maneuvers that caused the message to appear? Going to a dealer is not an option, although more sophisticated scanners can be borrowed.

Suggestions, war stories, witty cracks are all welcomed.

tia, rford

Ps. After a dozen or so BMW's, only two have been trouble-free: a 1968 R69S and an e91 325iX. All problems on the others have eventually been resolved without a trip to the dealer, so I have reason to expect an eventual solution this time, too.

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,080 Posts
Did it say "Driveline" or "Drivetrain" ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha! Will have to go out and replicate...

rford

1968 R69S, 1970 2002, 1974 R90S, 1987 535iS, 1987 325iS, 1988 M3, 1993 535i, 2002 330i, 2004 530i, 2006 325xiT, 2006 530xiT - all departed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. DriveTRAIN malfunction. The message also tells us to drive conservatively, max power will/may be reduced, etc. After stopping and turning off ignition, message goes away. Subsequent test confirmed full throttle is still available. From 5 mph, it upshifted at 6800 a few times and then legged it to 7000 at around 90 mph. Too much traffic to test beyond that.

Still no new message from the budget scanner, so it looks to be time to try a friend's Snap-On.

rford

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,080 Posts
This one is tough. It could be any number of things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts