BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 325i with 195,000 miles on it and to get emissions tested i need my drive cycle to trip. I have 3 blinking "not ready" systems with no check engine light on. I have driven 800 miles since the ECU was reset at a mechanics shop, any ideas why it has not run the Drive Cycle yet? (3 not readys are catalytic converter, secondary air, and i forget the 3rd).

Ive tried highway driving (under 60 MPH for 30+ minutes) & under 55MPH for 30+ minutes, im glad im still alive. Ive tried normal driving (at or above the 65 MPH speed limit). I do not understand why it has not tripped a cycle yet.

I have no access to a dyno or a plug in computer. and NO Check Engine Light!?!

any ideas?

americanbmw

·
Keeping it surreal
43,333 Posts
Not quite sure what you`re getting at with all this....where are these "blinking lights" originating from ?
Have you had the codes scanned ? If YES, what were the results ? You can have multiple fault codes stored without generating a CEL....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the car to a emissions center in Georgia, he plugged it in and it didnt pass because the drive cycle has not tripped yet. There are no DTC codes that are available for this issue. They must be able to read and pass 6/7 of the cars systems to pass emissions. i had 4 that were "ready"/"good" 3 that were "not ready" could not pass. a normal drive cycle should reset 100-150 (i know there isnt a set mileage)

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
secondary air should set the first or second time you do a cold start. go to autozone and get your codes read.

Any mods to the car that would have updated the ecu? I had two monitors turned off by accident when my ecu was flashed for a supercharger tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no mods other than a fix to the secondary air system by a mechanic 3 weeks ago. (not quite sure what they did) but the check engine light is now off and when autozone checked for codes non pop up.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Wondering what the fix was. Possibly the sa system has been rigged somehow so it doesn't throw codes but also doesn't trigger ready. May also be why catalyst showing not ready. Sa system is supposed to help the cats on cold start to neutralize unburned fuel during startup rich mixture.

Have you cold started and let the car idle for 5 mins. I think that's one of the cycles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So you readiness is saying it hasn't passed, correct? I'm in Illinois and we have emissions too. Even though there is no MIL, if the readiness isn't set on the ECM the car will still fail

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a tech at a dealership and there is a drive cycle you have to go through. Unfortunately you'll have to get a hold of a dealer and find out what it is. Usually when you do the drive cycle to set readiness, you'll have to be out in open roads.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
That's it! If you read it you'll know why you have to be out on open roads.

I think one of the keys too is not going over certain rpm. When I clear my codes, a few days of (not Always spirited) stop n go driving usually sets at least 7 of the readiness monitors. So I don't think it's quite as hard as this may look. I e the cycle picks back up if you break a rule then revert. That was my impression. In my case I had to have my dme reflashed to re enable two of the monitors.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Usually when you do the drive cycle to set readiness, you'll have to be out in open roads.
Surprisingly, the original FTP (which all others are based upon) was apparently actually designed in Los Angeles:

it can be done in about 10 min on open roads
I think the minimum is 11 miles, if you know what you're doing ... but the details are all here:
- How to better understand the key EPA federal test procedure (FTP) concept of the BMW SES "drive cycle" (1)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1500 Miles and i still have not tripped the drive cycle. I have done my best to get that drive cycle pattern above i just do not get it. A mechanic is now telling me to get a "Mode 6" code reader to reset the readiness manually. Does anyone know what the point is of that? looks like i am going to have to break down and have BMW break my wallet to have them look at it.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
What tool is your mechanic using to pull codes? A generic reader will not pull shadow faults which will store in your DME and will NOT illuminate your SES light.

Every time you reset faults, readiness has to be monitored again.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
1500 Miles and i still have not tripped the drive cycle. I have done my best to get that drive cycle pattern above i just do not get it. A mechanic is now telling me to get a "Mode 6" code reader to reset the readiness manually. Does anyone know what the point is of that? looks like i am going to have to break down and have BMW break my wallet to have them look at it.
I'm not sure that is even legal, although I'm sure your car is probably fine emissions wise so one could argue what's the harm to get you through emissions this time so you'll have time to figure out how to correct the root cause of these issues.

Don't take it to BMW yet. Is it possible the other one was Evap System? Another thread came up like yours and the person also couldn't get Evap and Catalyst monitors to set. I suggested starting the car with the gas cap off, letting it idle for 20 secs and then putting the cap on again. Then I think she might have driven around some more and the Evap monitor finally set. Might have gotten a check engine light that went out after driving around some. My theory was a flux in the status of the fuel evap system by having the cap off might kick it back into proper operation. If you're game, try this before you try my suggestion for SA system to follow.

If your SA system is truly fixed, there's no reason it shouldn't set that monitor. I'm wondering if pulling the fuse for the pump (check the card in the glovebox I think it's #36), starting the car, throwing an error code and then clearing the computer again will allow it to set. Your readiness monitors will have to all set again, but it may clear the hurdle for these that are "hung up." Pure speculation, but hey something similar worked for the Evap monitor, stuff like this works for Windows operating systems....:dunno:

BTW here's a list of the monitors:

Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor
Oxygen Sensor Monitor
Catalytic Converter Monitor
EGR Monitor
EVAP Monitor
Secondary Air System Monitor
Air Conditioning Monitor
Heated Catalyst Monitor

EDIT: Make sure you know how many monitors your emissions test requires. In NC, I think it's 7 of 8. Once you get 7 (or whatever the minimum is) go get the test and then you can figure out what's the problem for the last one over the next year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts