Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of times, I use the adaptive cruise control, especially in traffic. I don't disable it when I change lanes or anything. Well, maybe I should, because in heavy traffic the other day, I needed to change lanes to not take a freeway split. The lane next to me was only going at most 5 mph faster but they were keeping pretty tight. I got over when I saw about a 4 car gap, it looked like the best I was going to do. I used a little throttle to match their speed and move over. All went very nicely with no drama. At first. The problem is I never disengaged the cruise control, so as soon as I let off the throttle, the computer thought the one car length I had at 55mph was not nearly enough space and constituted an emergency requiring fairly hard braking to increase the following distance quickly. Of course, this pissed off the guy behind me and probably the guy behind him and I looked like a massive tool.

So, my question is, how do you explain to the other driver that your car was the one that brake checked them, not you?! I wish they used rear sensors as well as fronts to consider braking force, because had the guy behind me been texting, he would have likely hit me.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Unless you turn adaptive off, you will not be able to undertake maneuvers like that. Given your speed, you were technically too close to the car in front of you, according to the computer.

You raise an interesting point about distance bias. One thing I notice as that when adaptive is on, sometimes I get the sensation the car slows down too gradually as it reacts to the rate of deceleration in front of it, which obviously gives time to the cars behind you to react.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
521 Posts
In scenarios like this I disable ACC usually with the cancel button on the wheel. Then I can maneuver as needed and once I am settle hit the button again to kick it back off.

It is a great feature while either staying in your lane or traffic is moderate or lighter. Heavy traffic lane changes by me can get aggressive quickly with people hoping to block you once they see your signal and etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In scenarios like this I disable ACC usually with the cancel button on the wheel. Then I can maneuver as needed and once I am settle hit the button again to kick it back off.

It is a great feature while either staying in your lane or traffic is moderate or lighter. Heavy traffic lane changes by me can get aggressive quickly with people hoping to block you once they see your signal and etc.
You can also keep a light foot on the gas to keep the ACC from reengaging.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,905 Posts
People don’t kill people, cars kill people.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also keep a light foot on the gas to keep the ACC from reengaging.
That's what I'm used to doing, but since I wanted to back off from the car now in front of me, I let off the gas. Once you let off below the amount needed to maintain speed, the cruise control takes back over, even if you are still applying a light pressure.

·
Registered
G30 540i sDrive | MPPSK | BMS | FTP
198 Posts
I'm a big fan of those safety systems, but on odd occasions they can cause some pretty abrupt behavior. The obstacle avoidance whilst parking (i.e. emergency braking) is another such example that gives me the shits sometimes. I was reversing into my driveway last Friday and had that system slam on the brakes several times on me, even though nothing was close to the car. Must have been something to do with shadows and light at the time. Guys just down the road were watching - must've thought, "WTF is that guy doing!!? Typical BMW driver" :) It must have looked like I was a year 1 learner driver trying to reverse clutch start up a hill.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
ACC definitely requires more baby sitting than standard cruise for smooth driving else you run the risk of surprising the people following you.
As I have mentioned in other posts I am not a fan of the feature and the method to disable it (hold the ACC button for a few seconds) and have standard cruise instead does not work on my 2018 - the member who suggested it has a 2020. ACC quickly went from a must have to I wish the car did not have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts