Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 F25 X3 has a noise coming from the drivetrain that is totally independent to any enige or power input. Even when free wheeling in neutral any speed above 45 m/h. Does not seem to intensify on acceleration or braking or weaving just stay constant. How could I try to identify whether this is the Diff or the transfer case? Could it be the front dif as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if it's related, but I recently had a similar issue with my 2011 x3 (28i). Did a bunch of research, and apparently the oil filter can be a common culprit with "engine whining" in these cars.

Sure enough, took it to my mechanic, and the oil filter was totally destroyed (no idea why). After replacing it, sound was gone.

See this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647373

·
got diesel?
42 Posts
I think it's just a normal part of the xDrive system. We have two X3s in my family, '11 35i and an '12 2.8i. One with 75k miles and one with 99k miles. Both have made a very subtle humming noise from the drivetrain as far as I can remember. It hasn't gotten any louder or quieter in the time we've had them. I can especially hear it when I lift off the gas and let the car coast.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might want to change the transfer case oil and reset the adaptions.

Also changing the differential fluid both front and rear might help. The front differential is mounted to the drivers side of the engine, and holds less oil then then the rear.

Another way to isolate this would be to unplug the actuator motor on the transfer case.

Depending on your skill level and tools, both are easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got this X3, which had some issues. Took it to BMW and they said I needed a new front differential and a right axle. Checked and saw the axle wasn***8217;t pushed completely into he diffferential. I tapped it in, but after driving I got a code saying there is some issue with the stability. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drivetrain noise

We have had 2004 & 2008 X3’s, they had no drivetrain noise at all. We just moved to a 2011 2.8i. 60km which has a noise that sounds like wheel bearing but does not change when you load up either side but weaving at low speed. The noise is very clear on smooth surfaces at low 20k+ speed. The dealer has replaced diff and other parts but the noise is still there. There is a v slight tyre noise but I can accept that. Any ideas

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Cool shirt dude...

Sorry for the delay in my response to your post. Thanks for responding. I have been a bit caught up with school and these car problems. I did change the transfer case and differential oil but I’m still having a bit of a problem with the front right wheel/axle. Is it possible that the axle got bent? Depending on how I turn the wheel I sometimes get a wobbling feel. Just wondering I’d it’s necessary to change the differential as well. Thanks aging

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also want to thank everyone for their suggestions and for sharing similar experiences. Hopefully we can help sort out a few stuff without heading to the dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts