Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for almost 2 years now and I am the only driver, I pretty much have never used the other master key. Anyway, I took my car for service 2 days ago, since it's a PITA to take my keys off my keychain, I used the "unused" master key, which still looks brand new btw. On the way to the dealership, I couldn't help but notice that my car felt a lot faster and the throttle pickup was better with that key. I don't know if it was psychological or not. But I switched back and forth and I really felt there was a difference.

I know that the steptronic tranny software adjusts to my driving style. Maybe the tranny/engine software is "driver-dependent", just like the seat memories, mirror and radio settings, etc. Like it performs differently with each key. This makes sense, and I think it's the smart thing to do. BUT why is *MY* key slowed than the unused key? Especially when I drive my car pretty hard a lot of times? After chatting with 'LilE about this, we've come to the conclusion that, maybe, since I drive it hard, the OBDII has been fighting to make sure emission and gas economy are in check (CAFE rules), so it behaves more conservatively to counteract my driving style. The other "unused" master key, on the other hand, has the original "fun" setting the software was initialized with.

For those of you that are the only driver of your car, if you haven't been using your other master key, would you please try it and see if you can confirm this? I want to hear from people with different trannies, engines, with or without DBW, OBDI or ODBII, etc. If what I suspected were true I would definitely have to reset it (by disconnecting battery overnight?).

--Andrew

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
I'll swap keys tonight and let you know tomorrow.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I swapped keys for about 2 weeks last month since RTFM says to use it for a while once a year or something like that.

I didn't notie any change at all, except for the fact that it sets the HVAC settings differently.

ALso, I think its Nick who advocates disconnecting the battery to reset the DBW and other stuff. I did this the other day while doing my amp install, and it didn't do anything either.

I doubt I'm (not) imagining this, since the battery disconnect thing did wonders on my old car.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
I used my second key for my track weekend... (I figure since I plan on doing two or three of these a year from now on, it will be the perfect time to use the 2nd key... no dangling keychain on the track, recharge the key).

I noticed no difference whatsoever in performance. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
OK, just got back from a Bank run....

I went to the bank with my "daily" key and switched to the "unused" key to come back, here is what I noticed:

(Despite the extra weight from the trunk load of $$ :yikes: )

The car was very sluggish, the shift points were low, around 2 - 2.5k (and yes I drive like your grandma most of the time but more around 3 - 3.5k) and the torque converter felt locked most of the time.

Now I agree with AYN in that I did notice a difference. The last time my key was used was back when the dealer locked them in the car for over an hour with the engine running... Anyway, this is definitely worth looking into by way of others checking their keys, just another wondrous mystery imposed by Fed regs and the theory that when you buy something, you only acquire a right to use it, not actual ownership to its form or function. < a whole other thread somewhere else :eeps:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
i use to change keys about every 2-3 months. i've never really noticed a difference, but maybe because i use both regularly. NOW i have two sets of keys both with all my keys, so it's random which set i grab when i leave the house. but i do use both keys.

maybe this is just a step issue? dunno. i wouldnt see why because disconnecting the battery works for 5spds too. hmm.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eugeneDC/TX said:
i use to change keys about every 2-3 months. i've never really noticed a difference, but maybe because i use both regularly. NOW i have two sets of keys both with all my keys, so it's random which set i grab when i leave the house. but i do use both keys.
i guess i should say for this "test" to work, you need to drive hard with your regular key. you know how i drive, and i frequent 360, 2222 and lime creek.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
ayn said:

i guess i should say for this "test" to work, you need to drive hard with your regular key. you know how i drive, and i frequent 360, 2222 and lime creek.
haha, i drive like a granny compared to you. )=. i definately dont take corners and whatnot as aggressively as you. although here i cant really cuz (a) streets are BAD and (b) when i do even a little, my dsc kicks on cuz my contis SUCK. haha, speaking of which its about to rain and as a result i guess i'm not driving anywhere. hmm, need to hit up the grocery store though.

ha, overall in the past 3-4 months i have driven my car more and more aggressively, but i might cool down again cuz my gas mileage is suffering. (=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts