BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aloha forum, my driver door has recently started to make a popping sound when I open it. Is something wearing out... the hinge perhaps? What can be done to fix it if anything? Also, something positive... I'm getting better gas mileage since I moved to Maui (about 40-50 more miles per tank), I'm assuming it's because I'm not sitting in freeway traffic anymore... yipee!:)

·
Straight Bimmin
1,060 Posts
Aloha forum, my driver door has recently started to make a popping sound when I open it. Is something wearing out... the hinge perhaps? What can be done to fix it if anything? Also, something positive... I'm getting better gas mileage since I moved to Maui (about 40-50 per tank), I'm assuming it's because I'm not sitting in freeway traffic anymore... yipee!:)
Spay some liquid lightning grease on your hinge and see if that does anything. Your hinge could just be rusty and be getting caught and then releasing when when you apply more force to open the door. And also 40-50 miles per tank?! That's horrible. You should be getting MUCH more than that

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the door info... That's 40-50 more than I used to get... so about 340 to 350 per tank... I edited my original post.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,134 Posts
Thanks for the door info... That's 40-50 more than I used to get... so about 340 to 350 per tank... I edited my original post.
:dunno: I don't think so... it says the same thing it did to begin with.

+1 on lubing the hinge. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a e30 the other day and my door is doing the same poppin but the thing is its not a rusty door hinge its a loosely mounted bolt/bracket that is in the frame not the door. I am new to the dirty thirty game but I like to do all my own work, how do I go about tightening the bolts so I don't do further damage? :dunno:

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
I just bought a e30 the other day and my door is doing the same poppin but the thing is its not a rusty door hinge its a loosely mounted bolt/bracket that is in the frame not the door. I am new to the dirty thirty game but I like to do all my own work, how do I go about tightening the bolts so I don't do further damage? :dunno:
open the door and tighten the hinge bolts. normally six per hinge, 3 on the door, 3 on the body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
open the door and tighten the hinge bolts. normally six per hinge, 3 on the door, 3 on the body.
Where on the body are the three bolts, obviously at the end of the door break guess I should say how do I get to them? How can I get to the door jamb inside the body, I've read in a few places now(r3vlimited,e30tech,etc.) that there are tac welds holdin the jamb to the body is that not true?

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
forgot, these werent that easy. have to take the door card off with the window up. with you hand with a ratchet wrench and i think a 14mm reach into the cavity and you can feel them. for the cab side you have to remove the side kick panel.

last door i removed was a jeep that had torx screws. thought the e30s were the same.......oops

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to replace the "Door Brake". The snapping sound is the mechanism giving up the ghost. Spraying juice into the door cavity might relieve the pain for a while but the problem will be back. When the "Door Brake" gasps it final breath it will rip the door sheet metal mount away from the door and sometimes jam the window when the pieces lodge in the door cavity. The popping can continue for years but damage will be done eventually

1 - 10 of 10 Posts