BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the other day i i layed my seat back and now the right side of the seat doesn't want to raise with the left side. My mechanic says it sounds like a wire was pulled and that i would have to take it to an upholstery guy to have it get fixed. any suggestions on a do it yourself method. i have the bentley manual for my car, i guess my real question would be how to troubleshoot and find out exactly what the problem is so i can look up how to fix it if possible.

· Registered
589 Posts
Do a search on "seat twist", a situation where the seat motors/gears get out of sync and cause the situation you are experiencing. It seems fairly common on our cars, though I have not had it happen to mine (rarely ever move the seat).

Seat twist is a very common issue with these cars. The solution is a simple do it yourself. If you look under the seat, towards the front, you will see two black motors with cabels coming out of both sides. The one that's easier is the one you want, I believe it's closer to the rear of seat.
Unscrew thescrews and slide the motor out.
Pull out each cable and pullthe silver cap off of the rubber tubing.
Cut away a quarter inch of the tubing further exposing the cable.
Put the silver cap back on the cable and place back in motor.
Reinstall motor.

Make sure the seat back is straight when you do this.
You do not have to remove from the car to do it.
If your more comfortable with it out, move the seat to a lifted position so as to easily work on the motor before you unplug it.
Removal of seat is easy, undo rear bolts, lift the back up a bit and push it forward until it slides off the hooks (use caution, these are fragile)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.