BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver window of my 2005 325i, when raised, actually goes about a half inch outside the roof line allowing rain to enter the car. I brought it to the dealer and he said he was 90% sure it would end up being a window regulator that would cost about $550.00 to replace. After examining the problem, he called to say that in addition to the regulator the rubber around the door that the window slides into would also need replacing...total cost of this repair $950.00 plus 7% NJ sales tax. I looked up the regulator on a few online auto parts sites and the part costs about $125.00. Is this THAT BIG A JOB to cost over a $1000.00??????

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The search feature is your friend, as is the wiki

·
Registered
141 Posts
The OEM regulator for a fron window is about $125, and usually can find with free shipping. An after-market one is about $65 but I recommend going with OEM. There are good DIY's available. It will take about 2 hours to replace but isn't too difficult. Just go slowly on removing the vapor barrier so it can be re-used. Do not disconnect the airbag, just use a wire tie to hang it out of the way. Make sure to disconnect the battery cable and wait about 10 minutes before starting the job to avoid any problems with the airbag. This is the DIY I used. http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4329236 r

·
Registered
480 Posts
Econimics dictate that a product or service is worth whatever the market will bear. Check out a few independent garrages in your area, as they will "always" perform the same work at a lower price than the dealer. Look for references. Better yet, if you are inclined, pick up a Bentley repair manual for your car and make extensive use of Diy's on this site and do the work yourself. You will save a lot of money.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The driver window of my 2005 325i, when raised, actually goes about a half inch outside the roof line allowing rain to enter the car. I brought it to the dealer and he said he was 90% sure it would end up being a window regulator that would cost about $550.00 to replace. After examining the problem, he called to say that in addition to the regulator the rubber around the door that the window slides into would also need replacing...total cost of this repair $950.00 plus 7% NJ sales tax. I looked up the regulator on a few online auto parts sites and the part costs about $125.00. Is this THAT BIG A JOB to cost over a $1000.00??????
Just did mine about three weeks ago...... VERY EASY. As djs1122 said, go slow and don't force anything. I used a putty knife to cut through the adhesive that holds the vapor barrier in place and just worked my way from the front of the door to the back; leaving it partially attached so that when I put it back, it went right into place. I used a combination of DIY's I found simply by Googling.

·
catso
3,163 Posts
The OEM regulators are of a poor design. Get an aftermarket with a lifetime guarantee. Cost is about $70 and failure rates are about the same as OEM. If OEM were such a great design they wouldn't need to be continually replaced and reinforced with "cable ties". It's a pretty easy DIY. Lots and lots of threads including detailed pics and videos of the repair are available. It certainly is NOT worth $950. Find the part number for the rubber gasket on REALOEM.com and you'll know what that costs. Shouldn't be that difficult either. Good luck.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did mine a month ago. I bought the after market regulator ($65.00) and did the work myself using the diy's article in this forum. It took me a couple of hours but I was taking my time. If you don't want to do it yourself, the alternative would be, to buy the regulator and have it done at auto glass places and pay for the labor (shouldn't be more than 100.00). Even better, if you cross the Hudsun river to NY, it is a lot cheaper (1/2). Anyway, it is very satisfying to do it yourself...just take your time and follow the insturctions. Good luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ALMOST Fixed

Yesterday we installed the new window regulator and it worked like a charm when we tested it. Today my son used the "automatically go up all the way" window feature instead of holding the button until the window was all the way up and "crunch crunch window is up but wants to keep going..crunch crunch" He was able to lower it about 5 inches and thats where it remains stuck. Any experience with this problem????

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen some regulators on ebay with and with out the motor. How can you tell if you need to replace the motor as well. My front driver and rear passenger side window are inop. i can hear the regulator moving in the door, but the glass does nothing. infact i can move the glass by hand. My first thought was the glass needs to be reset, but the dealer said it was the regulator..

Now quite sure exactly what i should replace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.