BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 528i and the guy that owned the car before me was a complete fucking idiot to put it nicely. I'm sure this is stupid but when I took the door panel off there is a 2 wire plug just hanging there and after finding out the hard way in the Arizona sun that he used black rtv to glue the trim into the stripped door panel clip, I have no clue what all he has done.... Can anyone tell me what it goes to and where it should be plugged in?
Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Nail

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Gadget Thumb Audio equipment Nail Magenta

Hand Finger Thumb Nail Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2000 528it, 2015 435i, 2016 435ix GC
602 Posts
I think that if you had a dimming side mirror (or other optional mirror function) this is what it would plug into. If it were me I would go around the car, and if everything worked, forget about it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,117 Posts
That’s aftermarket, not BMW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the same plug was mentioned later in this thread, FWIW.

I'm pretty sure that's the tweeter wiring, if it isn't then I have that but it's already plugged into something

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have one as well

So I was thinking it's for electrochromatic mirrors.
However here's what's confusing to me.
This connector only exists on the driver's side in my car. No such connector on the passenger side.
So passenger side mirror has nowhere to plug in. You can check and let us know about passenger side on your car.
It's weird that BMW would prewire only one side for electrochrome. Really weird.

Now another thing, as far as I understand, side mirror dimming is controlled by the rear view mirror. I don't know about your mirror, but my rear view mirror doesn't have the pins on its connectors for electrochrome.
The rearview mirror connector has 10 spots for pins. My connector has only 2 pins out of 10 that could be installed.
If I remember correctly when I looked it up, pin 7 and 8 are responsible for electrochrome.
So still weird why this connector is only on one side.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have one as well

So I was thinking it's for electrochromatic mirrors.
However here's what's confusing to me.
This connector only exists on the driver's side in my car. No such connector on the passenger side.
So passenger side mirror has nowhere to plug in. You can check and let us know about passenger side on your car.
It's weird that BMW would prewire only one side for electrochrome. Really weird.

Now another thing, as far as I understand, side mirror dimming is controlled by the rear view mirror. I don't know about your mirror, but my rear view mirror doesn't have the pins on its connectors for electrochrome.
The rearview mirror connector has 10 spots for pins. My connector has only 2 pins out of 10 that could be installed.
If I remember correctly when I looked it up, pin 7 and 8 are responsible for electrochrome.
So still weird why this connector is only on one side.
Your car probably has memory seats and that is the "full option" door wiring.
I tend to think that, because I retrofitted the memory seats and the door wiring came with the electrochromic plug as well. It's bought of the American eBay.
I retrofitted the alarm and electrochromic rear view also so I can confirm that the wiring for the side comes from the RV one.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yes I have M 1 2 3 switch my door
Now I wonder of this wire for electrochromatic mirrors even makes it inside the car or stops inside the door and I'll need to add wiring and pins to the door connectors to feed it inside the car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts