BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MrJanka
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im pretty sure this is a common problem. But anyhow,the insulation underneath my car is hanging and basically rubbing the driveshaft. Does anyone what the purpose this insulation serves? And also, what consequences would I face if I were to just tear it off and be done with it?

Thanks,
MrJanka

·
Just living MY dream
5,588 Posts
I have yet to hear of an e36 that doesn't have that problem :rofl:

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,148 Posts
Neither one of mine have had that problem, but since I said that both of them will be dropped down on the diveshaft in the morning. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Old thread I know - but its on-topic for me.

I went looking for the part number for this stuff and can't find it listed anywhere.

Should I just pull it off?

I assume there will be a little more noise in the cabin but given its a convertible I suspect it won't be noticed much.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,148 Posts
It's not so much noise insulation, but insulation against heat from the exhaust. The driveshaft tunnel gets pretty toasty without it, especially when moving slowly in traffic. Use realoem.com to find the part number by putting the last 7 digits of your VIN in the VIN search box and it will give you the exact part numbers of what was originally used on your car. Realoem.com (and all the BMW parts diagram sites) can be tricky to locate specific parts. There doesn't seem to be any logic to how some parts are grouped together. I'm pretty sure the driveshaft tunnel insulation is going to be in the "body trim" section.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great! Searching those sites for insulation or sound or other terms did not find it - looking under body trim did - 51488119049 - at least for me. I'll see how bad it is next time I raise the beast up.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Problems I have had with sagging heat shield have not been so much with the shield itself, but the various fasteners to hold it up. Rust took out a number of the standard mounting studs on the underside. I got by for many years with a jerry-rigged flat strip of thin metal arching up and over the driveshaft (inverted U shape) and attached at both ends.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Just rip the b***h off. It's not needed. You won't feel heat one bit unless you drive naked and no carpet.
Speaking form experience Harry? :rofl:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Problems I have had with sagging heat shield have not been so much with the shield itself, but the various fasteners to hold it up. Rust took out a number of the standard mounting studs on the underside. I got by for many years with a jerry-rigged flat strip of thin metal arching up and over the driveshaft (inverted U shape) and attached at both ends.
The fastener issue is what happened to the heatshield he's referring to, its the one on our older 325ic (lola) and there's only one screw left holding it up. although the heat shield isn't in great shape to begin with because it appears to have been like this for some time.

·
Registered
242 Posts
fender washers

I have used large fender washers, to cover up the damage due to time and heat.
That is , if you can get the bolts/screws to backout

1 - 13 of 13 Posts