BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I have a 2011 535i xdrive. It has around 49k miles. I first got this light about a month ago once I was on the highway and started to accelerate. I drove home about 20 miles and turned car off. I turn it back on to go to my mechanic and warning lights gone. It doesn't come back until today. Same thing I'm on the highway doing around 65mph I go to accelerate and switch lanes and it came on again. Car feels fine it just obviously doesn't have same power while this warning light is on. Same story I park it today, leave it off 5 min. Turn it back on and boom everything back to normal car running greAt. Any idea what this could be? Is it a computer glitch?
Dude, your car's computer stores error codes....read 'em

·
Registered
17 Posts
Similar problems to OP's - also with 2011 535i. No joy from the generic OBDII code reader that works just fine with my Volvo and Toyota.

So, if one were to get the "gold standard" Bavarian Technic hard/software that interfaces via USB to a laptop, could one then procure and upload software to goose a few performance parameters of the N55? I'm OK with this car's power, but not OK with interminable lag when quick throttle response is required at lower engine speeds. No one has yet reported in this forum on the new Dinantronics "for the masses" $299 Sport upgrade, but there are suggestions elsewhere in cyberworld that upgrades can be had from reputable tuners for even less money.

I'm not a Luddite - just skeptical of throwing hundreds or thousands into "name brand" upgrades if there are less expensive alternatives.

rford, 2011 535i [bone stock]

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
So, if one were to get the "gold standard" Bavarian Technic hard/software that interfaces via USB to a laptop, could one then procure and upload software to goose a few performance parameters of the N55? I'm OK with this car's power, but not OK with interminable lag when quick throttle response is required at lower engine speeds.
Check the Carly App.

Believe it or not, place your foot fully flat on the pedal; accelerate. There should be no lag 'cause BMW turbos are always on boost. Yep, always. BUT if you drive Americano style, right foot easy off the pedal, it'll slip as you push, leadin' to lurchin'. Also, especially N54, as intake valves foul smoothness suffers.

Ooof!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my 2011 550i from the dealership. Drivetrain Malfunction 3 months after the CCP. Error popped up on acceleration entering the highway...next day, came on again during highway acceleration.
It was leaking vacuum hoses to the turbos. Replaced by dealership (warranty)
and so far so good today.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just picked up my 2011 550i from the dealership. Drivetrain Malfunction 3 months after the CCP. Error popped up on acceleration entering the highway...next day, came on again during highway acceleration.
It was leaking vacuum hoses to the turbos. Replaced by dealership (warranty)
and so far so good today.
:thumbup:
Interesting. Odd thing is mine were weeks apart but issue seems identical. I'll have to prob take it and hope it's not serious since I'm not under warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check the Carly App.

Believe it or not, place your foot fully flat on the pedal; accelerate. There should be no lag 'cause BMW turbos are always on boost. Yep, always. BUT if you drive Americano style, right foot easy off the pedal, it'll slip as you push, leadin' to lurchin'. Also, especially N54, as intake valves foul smoothness suffers.

Ooof!
Wow, as weird as this sounds I just tried it and you're right. Way different when my foot is fully flat on the pedal. Car takes off with no lag. No more Americano style for me

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,sound like it might be a boost related problem,,,,you said it happens highway speeds accelerating,,,,check for any fault codes,,,,my blog page Bmwtechnician

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Drivetrain Malfunction light" comes and goes

BMW tech here,,,,sound like it might be a boost related problem,,,,you said it happens highway speeds accelerating,,,,check for any fault codes,,,,my blog page Bmwtechnician
So I ran a diagnostic at my mechanics and these are the faults that came up. What do you think? Do I need to get a new HPFP?

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468356357.397108.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So had my HPFP and low pressure fuel pump both replaced, and still the light comes back. My mechanic said he did hear a little ticking noise and thinks maybe as a last resort to try and change the Vanos solenoid. Any insight on this? I'm thinking about changing this last thing and then if it doesn't fix it, I'm dumping the car. It's barely got 51k miles and I can't deal with these issues like this. So annoying. Do you think changing the Vanos solenoid might just be what it was since I've read it has been the issue before? I was also told I may just need to get my computer reprogrammed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just went threw Drivetrain Malfuntion, on my 2013 535i got it used with 50,700 miles. First time accelerating up hill. Then reproduced same issue same day. The dealer replaced turbo blow valve and leaking vacuum hose. The same fix as MSBMW550i.

·
Registered
346 Posts
2011 535i xdrive

I can tell you this from my experience with the warning and also from the absolute pressure code. The valve cover needs to be replaced and you probably have vacuum leaks. It's possible you need a new low pressure fuel sensor, I've heard from those with 335i that the sensor is sometimes the issue and not the pumps.

But in addition to the valve cover, I had the injectors replaced and to be more specific for me #6 was basically dead. Everytime I would engage any sort of acceleration power I would get the error. Also of course I replaced my spark plugs. After the valve cover, injectors and plugs (I had to because #6 plug was somehow burnt) I'm running without the error no matter how hard I mash on the gas.

I also aside from the replaced some ignition coils as well but I did them one by one at different times during the year during my replacement of said things. Also have your mechanic run a smoke test and pressure test before he keeps on making money from you to be certain of valve cover, replacement, and or hoses replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can tell you this from my experience with the warning and also from the absolute pressure code. The valve cover needs to be replaced and you probably have vacuum leaks. It's possible you need a new low pressure fuel sensor, I've heard from those with 335i that the sensor is sometimes the issue and not the pumps.

But in addition to the valve cover, I had the injectors replaced and to be more specific for me #6 was basically dead. Everytime I would engage any sort of acceleration power I would get the error. Also of course I replaced my spark plugs. After the valve cover, injectors and plugs (I had to because #6 plug was somehow burnt) I'm running without the error no matter how hard I mash on the gas.

I also aside from the replaced some ignition coils as well but I did them one by one at different times during the year during my replacement of said things. Also have your mechanic run a smoke test and pressure test before he keeps on making money from you to be certain of valve cover, replacement, and or hoses replacement.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1473178103.685458.jpg

These are the only codes left after replacing both the HPFP and the regular low pressure fuel pump. I have been told it can now be a computer issue and I should just get my computer module reprogrammed and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm going into the spark plugs and ignition coils.

·
Registered
346 Posts
View attachment 575274

These are the only codes left after replacing both the HPFP and the regular low pressure fuel pump. I have been told it can now be a computer issue and I should just get my computer module reprogrammed and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm going into the spark plugs and ignition coils.
Well at this point testing to see if the fuel rail sensors are working properly wouldn't hurt. But other than that it seems there isn't much else to try other than the sensor and update the modules

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well at this point testing to see if the fuel rail sensors are working properly wouldn't hurt. But other than that it seems there isn't much else to try other than the sensor and update the modules
How do you update the modules? Do I gotta go to bmw for this or is there any other way? And does anyone know how much they charge for updates?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts