BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have 2012, 328i manual transmission. It recently displayed "Divetrain malfunction:" message as I was pulling to the parking lot at night.
The gas pedal would not respond. No speed gain. It would rev a bit but at the same time refuse to rev.
I turned it off and on and same issue. Turn off and on again and now the engine (and car) shakes vibrantly.
Next day, the car does not start anymore. It cranks, but no start.

I checked some basic things like fuses, batteries, gas.
Afterwards, I had it towed to the BWM dealer.

The came back saying that Valvetronic Motor has failed.
It needs to be replaced, together with eccentric shaft and wire harness.

Parts come to about $1600. More info at the end.
The labor comes to about $1600 as well. It has been quoted as 10 hour job.

The information that I wanted to gather from the community here is:
Has this happened to anyone else in a similar way? And what was the issue?
Would the failure on Valvetronic motor result in the car behaving that way?
Does that estimate sound somehow accurate?
Is it really a 10 hour job?

I am trying to see if I should tow it again and take it to another shop.
By the way I am located in Northern Virginia if anyone wants to recommend a shop they like and go.

Appreciate any comment.

----
Message on the idrive:
Divetrain malfunction:
Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available.
Consult service center.

---
The parts and quotes:
11-37-7-603-979 -- VAVLETRONIC MOTOR $ 430
11-37-7-630-747 -- ECCENTRIC SHAFT $ 780
12-51-7-619-142 -- WIRE HARNESS $ 117.35
X11-37-7-615-379 -- BEARINGS FOR ECCENTRIC SHAFT (4*$30) $120
Oil and filter.

Parts at other online stores:
https://www.getbmwparts.com - has them ( $350, $670, $85, $10)
https://www.bavauto.com - has them in similar prices as BMW (about $10 less per part.)
---

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,640 Posts
Do you understand what the Valvetronic motor does? Hopefully you have not bent any valves trying to get the car going. That could double your bill.

How many miles on your car? I SUSPECT the Valvetronic motor is considered to be an emissions part, and may be covered under the extended emissions warranty. IIRC that covers you to 70,000 miles in most states, 100,000 miles in others. You should check your warranty booklet to be sure.

In addition to the warranty on the work, the dealership may be able to work with BMWNA to cover part of the repair as goodwill. This can take the form of you getting the parts for free, and paying for the labor.

BTW if you are not already a BMWCCA member, you should join. As a member, you should get a 10% to 20% discount on the parts, which in your case will be meaningful.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Valvetronic actuator is listed as emission part covered 8 years/100k miles under CA emission warranty parts lists, but it does not appear VA has adopted that coverage yet.

Also VA is not a PZEV state, so there is no 15 years/150k miles PZEV emission coverage.

The Fed emission coverage does not explicitly list valvetronic, but do check with warranty administrator and foremen at dealer to see if it is covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who responded.
A quick update on this for those who commented, and those who might have te same issue in the future. Hopefully, you do not.

The valvetronic, was not cover under the emissions warranty for neither Federal or VA.

User quackbury said above:
In addition to the warranty on the work, the dealership may be able to work with BMWNA to cover part of the repair as goodwill. This can take the form of you getting the parts for free, and paying for the labor.
As son as I read that I went on the BMW USA and filled a form and ask them about this. Essentially, describing the issue and kindly asking if they would be willing to help pay for some of the cost.

However, I was very skeptical of this process. I never thought BMW would agree to this. So I waited for about 1 days, did not hear anything and I gave the go ahead for the dealer to fix the issue. They agreed to do it for $3k from their initial $3340. (That is the price that I asked them, maybe I should have asked lower. I do not know how much is too greedy).

I get the car before Christmas, it works fine. So far it has worked fine.

After Christmas, someone from BMW USA calls me, and says they will look into my request. It took them longer, because of the holidays.
After New Years, they call back, saying they had contacted the dealer and the dealers had spoken "highly" of me as customer. But they do not offer any retroactive payments. But assured me, that if i had any issues in the future, they would help. I asked them if they would offer some sort of "credit" so I can use it for regular maintenance services as well. Said they do not do that.

I learned that, for major and costly issues like the one I had, BMW USA might help, but it is important to contact them before approving the work being done.
According to the service adviser, the best way is to call them, and the process from the time of you call and the negotiation with the dealer take 1-2 days.

I personally learned something new, hopefully I will not have major issues again. But definitely an option to explore.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our 2011 328xi had a warranty extension dealing with some Valvetronic parts. It was a CPO and we got a couple letters from BMW about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting. I have a 2016 328x GT and experience my second drivetrain malfunction in the last couple of months.

While accelerating, the car shudder between switching gears and then the icon was displayed last night. Today, the check engine light is on.

My car is under warranty (32K) miles and taking to the dealership on Monday.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi,

I have 2012, 328i manual transmission. It recently displayed "Divetrain malfunction:" message as I was pulling to the parking lot at night.
The gas pedal would not respond. No speed gain. It would rev a bit but at the same time refuse to rev.
I turned it off and on and same issue. Turn off and on again and now the engine (and car) shakes vibrantly.
Next day, the car does not start anymore. It cranks, but no start.

I checked some basic things like fuses, batteries, gas.
Afterwards, I had it towed to the BWM dealer.

The came back saying that Valvetronic Motor has failed.
It needs to be replaced, together with eccentric shaft and wire harness.

Parts come to about $1600. More info at the end.
The labor comes to about $1600 as well. It has been quoted as 10 hour job.

The information that I wanted to gather from the community here is:
Has this happened to anyone else in a similar way? And what was the issue?
Would the failure on Valvetronic motor result in the car behaving that way?
Does that estimate sound somehow accurate?
Is it really a 10 hour job?

I am trying to see if I should tow it again and take it to another shop.
By the way I am located in Northern Virginia if anyone wants to recommend a shop they like and go.

Appreciate any comment.

----
Message on the idrive:
Divetrain malfunction:
Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available.
Consult service center.

---
The parts and quotes:
11-37-7-603-979 -- VAVLETRONIC MOTOR $ 430
11-37-7-630-747 -- ECCENTRIC SHAFT $ 780
12-51-7-619-142 -- WIRE HARNESS $ 117.35
X11-37-7-615-379 -- BEARINGS FOR ECCENTRIC SHAFT (4*$30) $120
Oil and filter.

Parts at other online stores:
https://www.getbmwparts.com - has them ( $350, $670, $85, $10)
https://www.bavauto.com - has them in similar prices as BMW (about $10 less per part.)
---
I had the exact same error message (though it cleared after a restart) and the dealership replaced all 4 injectors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts