Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last night when speed-up to pass one slow car and the Check engine came on with drivetrain message. Lost very much half of the power but I made home safely.
Hooked the ODB2 check the code and I got P0300, P0301.P0303. I cleared them and let it sit overnight. In this morning , started the car and everything back to normal just like never happened anything.
So what do you guy think it may cause? Sparkplugs or coils or injectors?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer changed it around 35Kmiles and now my car is 56K. You think I should change the spark plugs?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I always start with what's easiest. Swapping coils would be, if you could get the car to throw the codes again, and hopefully lead you to a 1 cylinder misfire.

If you cant, then I would install new spark plugs. (Assuming you can do this yourself?)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always start with what's easiest. Swapping coils would be, if you could get the car to throw the codes again, and hopefully lead you to a 1 cylinder misfire.

If you cant, then I would install new spark plugs. (Assuming you can do this yourself?)
Well the check engine is gone this morning when I use the ODB2 clear the error code. What I am asking should I change spark plugs first or coils ? cuz with those codes telling me I have issue either spark plugs or coils ....My car still under CPO but I don't think CPO replace spark plugs

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
If you cant get the codes to come back then how do you know it wasnt just bad gas that caused some misfiring?

You dont really change coils - you replace the bad one - if you have one. Will CPO cover coils?

If you were to shotgun the repair, I would change spark plugs first.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you cant get the codes to come back then how do you know it wasnt just bad gas that caused some misfiring?

You dont really change coils - you replace the bad one - if you have one. Will CPO cover coils?

If you were to shotgun the repair, I would change spark plugs first.
You right. I will start changing spark plug first cuz spark plug easy to do and about time to change them anyway. What p/n and brand should I get?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
realoem.com will give you the part #.

Assuming its the same as my 535i - Then Bosch ZR5TPP33S (interchangeable with ZR5TPP33). I but them in packs of 6 on eBay for $25. I think you would need 8 total?

Also get a gap tool if you dont have one. They come pre-gapped, but I always verify.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
realoem.com will give you the part #.

Assuming its the same as my 535i - Then Bosch ZR5TPP33S (interchangeable with ZR5TPP33). I but them in packs of 6 on eBay for $25. I think you would need 8 total?

Also get a gap tool if you dont have one. They come pre-gapped, but I always verify.
I look at site fcpeuro.com, they gave me this p/n ZR5TPP330A> bosch # 0242145541. Are they the same one as your p/n ?

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
Whats the software level in your car?, had a 5 series at work w/ original factory software with 4/5/6 misfire and a programming fixed it. theres updated software to correct driveability to an extent. and cpo will cover it depending on your plan.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whats the software level in your car?, had a 5 series at work w/ original factory software with 4/5/6 misfire and a programming fixed it. theres updated software to correct driveability to an extent. and cpo will cover it depending on your plan.
I dont think the software caused the issue cuzI never have this problem before until now. How do I know what software version do I have on the car?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its different than mine (535i) but correct for your car. $7 a piece is a good price.
There are single and double platinum spark plugs , which one should I purchase? also there is a Japanese made spark plug model NGK Laser Iridium (SILZKBR8D85) cost little more but last longer up to 80-90Kmiles according to the AutoZone sale man. Has anyone here use this?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Double Plat. For NGK - also a good company.

I really dont pay attention to the miles - I change plugs every 30k as the job takes 50 minutes @ a cost of $25.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Double Plat. For NGK - also a good company.

I really dont pay attention to the miles - I change plugs every 30k as the job takes 50 minutes @ a cost of $25.
I've never done this before. If I want to do myself, which complete tools do I need to get? Most indy shop around my area, they don't do labor when I brought my own parts to them.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I've never done this before. If I want to do myself, which complete tools do I need to get? Most indy shop around my area, they don't do labor when I brought my own parts to them.
The only "specialty tool" you will need is a thin walled spark plug socket. This assumes you have standard toolsets on hand, various sockets, torx heads, socket wrench with extenders, and a torque wrench.

If you dont, buying all those tools may be cost prohibitive if you dont normally DIY. I gradually collected everything as I did more and more DIY jobs.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only "specialty tool" you will need is a thin walled spark plug socket. This assumes you have standard toolsets on hand, various sockets, torx heads, socket wrench with extenders, and a torque wrench.

If you dont, buying all those tools may be cost prohibitive if you dont normally DIY. I gradually collected everything as I did more and more DIY jobs.

the Bosch vs NGK Iridium spark plugs any different on performance or just their lifetime? I am consider NGK a bit of pricey if the performance better or I can stick with the Bosch platinium????

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
There are single and double platinum spark plugs , which one should I purchase? also there is a Japanese made spark plug model NGK Laser Iridium (SILZKBR8D85) cost little more but last longer up to 80-90Kmiles according to the AutoZone sale man. Has anyone here use this?
On my last car I installed the Iridium plugs. I didn't keep the car long enough to know about longevity, but the car ran well with them. Would I install them again? Most likely.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts