BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, my car is a 99 M3. I'm thinking the problem is the driveshaft, but I'm not really sure. Here's the situation:

I was WOT in first gear, shifted quickly to second, and there was a loud thunk/clunk sound from the rear of the car.

Now every time I shift up a gear (2nd to 3rd etc) a thunking sound can be heard/felt by a passenger in the rear seat.

This is my first RWD car, so I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I'm guessing its driveshaft related? :dunno:

Any input is appreciated.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,081 Posts
Upper shock mount, trailing arm bushing, differential carrier. Just do a general check of the rear suspension and shock mounts. Check your guibo, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out its a differential bolt.

I haven't spent much time under my car, but I'm told that the particular bolt that broke is very difficult to get to, and replacing the bolt will be time intensive (I guess the bolt in on top of the diff?)

Anyone give me an idea of what a fair price is for the work?

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,474 Posts
You'll have to drop the exhaust and then remove the differential carrier, but it isn't that difficult. Removing the diffs in these cars is actually fairly easy, especially if the car is on a lift and the right tools are available. I have no idea what the "book hours" are for this job, but if I had to take a wild guess, I'd put it in the $250-350 range. But like I said, that's just a wild guess on my part.

·
The Canadian Prick.
12,984 Posts
Try a broken bolt extractor?

They're cheap (Get a Craftsman set from Sears), and work wonders. All you have to do is lift your car just high enough to get under it (and yes, use jack stands). Should be an easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.