Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I drive 40e 2017 over the year now and I love it .
I am driving 20 miles to work to Manhattan.
Usually I was preheating car before leaving home and then I was switching to Max battery and Eco Pro.
Today I tried to do the same but Max Drive was not available.Outside was 16 degrees.
Do you guys have simulator behavior?
When I was coming back home and outside was 24 after a couple of minutes of driving max Drive become available
I am confused.
Can owners of 40e post their experience driving in the winter
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,014 Posts
I would expect battery performance to degrade in extremely cold weather. BMW's battery management system surely compensates for cold weather in order to maximize the lifespan of the electrolyte. Even preconditioning might not make up for certain levels of cold. Likely the operating temperature reached an acceptable temperature while you were on your way home and hence the computer allowed for max eDrive again.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Agreed. The cold weather can be the significant factor. My ‘18 40e is doing okay so far. From the heated garage to the heated garage in the office, Max e with Eco Pro is working fine all the way. There were a few occasions I parked it outsides for 3-5 hours in the evening or at night, my Max e seemed functional.

But in Auto mode, my engine kicks in more often these days. And my battery is also depleted faster.

Also, my Max e used to go all the way to 5% of the battery. But now it seems to end around 10%.

Another ‘18 40e owner in Manhattan just reported the malfunction in his car over the new year weekend. It’s been towed to the dealer for the further inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it because my car was outside for two days .But currently it working as expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hadn’t run into any issues other than generic battery drain too fast in the cold. We just got out of a cold snap where the weekly high was something like -2. I love the pre condition since you can do it in the garage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts