BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searching the archives I noticed a bunch of you attended these. Do you recommend them? What type of people/cars attend them?

I attended a Nasa Event up at Sears Point one time and I was terrified for my safety and my car. There was 2 accidents with a bunch of people driving $2000 camaros. I am more up for driving schools with a more safety oriented setup and people driving cars that they care about. Like the BMW and Audi driving events...

TIA
Jeff

·
Registered
371 Posts
Jeff,

The Driving Concepts schools are fundamentally like the BMW CCA schools on the west coast, because they're run by the same people, and share many instructors. The only one I've been to is last's New Year's Eve school at Laguna Seca, and it was well-run, if a bit under-attended. Cars include BMWs (probably the majority), some Porsches, a Corvette Z06, an Acura RSX Type S, an Audi or two, and an NSX or two.

--Andre

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andre Yew said:
Jeff,

The Driving Concepts schools are fundamentally like the BMW CCA schools on the west coast, because they're run by the same people, and share many instructors. The only one I've been to is last's New Year's Eve school at Laguna Seca, and it was well-run, if a bit under-attended. Cars include BMWs (probably the majority), some Porsches, a Corvette Z06, an Acura RSX Type S, an Audi or two, and an NSX or two.

--Andre
Andre,

Thanks, I am considering driving the new years event this year.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Carl McGinn, the owner (one of the owners?) is also the chief instructor for the LA chapter of the CCA. Andre pretty much summarized the deal. Great crowd, great instructors, great organization, definitely recommend it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Jeff,

Maybe I'll see you there --- I haven't made up my mind yet. For Laguna Seca, make sure you have enough brake pad (80% for stock is my rule of thumb) and brake disc left, and fresh brake fluid, because LS is really hard on brakes. Last year, in the slow group, the Acura RSX warped his rotors severely with only two run sessions. The Corvette Z06 also ran out of brakes at the end. It's even more important with this particular school because, if last year is any indication, there's a good chance you will get more than four run sessions, and your brakes must be in good condition to survive that.

--Andre

·
doh!!!
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andre Yew said:
Jeff,

Maybe I'll see you there --- I haven't made up my mind yet. For Laguna Seca, make sure you have enough brake pad (80% for stock is my rule of thumb) and brake disc left, and fresh brake fluid, because LS is really hard on brakes. Last year, in the slow group, the Acura RSX warped his rotors severely with only two run sessions. The Corvette Z06 also ran out of brakes at the end. It's even more important with this particular school because, if last year is any indication, there's a good chance you will get more than four run sessions, and your brakes must be in good condition to survive that.

--Andre
Andre,

Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts