BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car won't pass the emission inspection due to emission monitors not ready, 2013 50i, anyone has the instruction to complete driving cycle? I have the instruction for other BMW model but not E70 specific, would that apply? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I drive to Chicago twice. There is no official way to force it. The cookbook you describe is only suggestion no guarantee.

Do you have a scanner that will show which monitors are not ready and do you have a problem with engine setting off SES that is the reason. Once you have 1-2 monitors not set you can attack each one based on how they work.

I think most states will pass with the evap monitor unset.

In wi you get an automatic month extension if you fail so I'm betting something similar where you live.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a scanner, there are couple, O2 sensor and cat or EVAP, I am in PA, I might clear SES lights couple of months ago but I thought all monitors should have been ready by now, I should have scanned the emission readiness monitors fist before I sent off for inspection. Here is what generic BMW drying cycle completion instructions:
1. Cold start, idle for 3 minutes
2. Accelerate to 20 ~30 MPH, maintain steady speed for 4 minutes
3. Accelerate to 40 ~ 60 MPH, maintain steady speed for 15 minutes
4. De-accelerate and to a stop, idle in gear for 5 minutes
At any time during this process, RPM cannot go above 3000rpm or driving cycle is canceled.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Ditto Walkinator…try that drive cycle (which appears to be the FTP (federal test protocol) drive cycle that was designed to test all monitors.

See the chart below…which defines what the FTP drive cycle criteria is versus a personal drive cycle which may not meet all of the criteria. Follow the instructions on the top half of the chart which will meet the criteria to check the monitors mentioned on the lower half of the chart. And again like posted above…take note of the RPM warning and speed warning…while trying to accomplish a complete FTP drive cycle:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those driving cycle instructions are just chance. They improve odds is all.

Did you say which monitors were unset? I didn't see.
Just checked, Fuel, CAT and SO2 are not ready.

Ditto Walkinator…try that drive cycle (which appears to be the FTP (federal test protocol) drive cycle that was designed to test all monitors.

See the chart below…which defines what the FTP drive cycle criteria is versus a personal drive cycle which may not meet all of the criteria. Follow the instructions on the top half of the chart which will meet the criteria to check the monitors mentioned on the lower half of the chart. And again like posted above…take note of the RPM warning and speed warning…while trying to accomplish a complete FTP drive cycle:

View attachment 1034767
Thanks Dennis, I will try to follow this to see if I can get all 3 monitors ready.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,487 Posts
Driving profile for conditioning road test
So that all readiness code checks can be completed, a conditioning run with the driving profile set out below is required (duration approx. 60 minutes). No emission-relevant fault codes may be present for the engine control unit.

Driving profile (figure not to scale)
1.Start the engine from cold. Immediately, without an idling period, drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) for 5 minutes.
2.Drive briskly for 10 minutes. Incorporate at least 10-30 overrunning phases and load changes. The overrunning phases must last between 5 and 18 seconds. The shorter the overrunning phases, the more of them have to be carried out.
3.Allow the vehicle to idle for about 1 minute while stationary.
4.Accelerate the vehicle at high load from a standing start to 50 mph (80 km/h). Drive at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for 20 minutes.
5.Drive at a constant speed of 65 mph (100 km/h) for 20 minutes.
6.Allow the vehicle to idle for about 1 minute while stationary.
7.Switch off ignition and leave vehicle to stand for 1 minute. Read out readiness codes.
ASpeed in mph (km/h)
BDriving time in minutes

Driving profile for individual readiness codes
If individual readiness code procedures have not been completed they can be completed with the following driving profiles. No emission-relevant fault codes may be present for the engine control unit.
Readiness codeDriving profile required for setting the code
Misfire monitoring / misfire detection1 minute's idling
Fuel system monitoring / fuel systemComplete at least 10-30 overrun phases of 5-18 seconds' duration with engine warm (approx. 80 °C). The shorter the overrunning phases, the more of them have to be carried out. Drive at a constant speed of 65 mph (100 km/h) for 20 minutes.
Comprehensive components / remaining systemsStatus is set immediately.
NHMC catalyst monitoring / catalytic converterStart a cold engine and then drive at 25 mph (40 km/h) for 5 minutes without any idle phases
Evaporative systemLeave vehicle in standing position all night.
Boost Pressure System Monitoring / charge air systemdynamic driving for at least 10 minutes followed by at least 10 minutes of driving at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h).
Exhaust gas sensor monitoring / exhaust gas sensor system (oxygen sensors)Accelerate the vehicle at high load from a standing start to 50 mph (80 km/h). Drive at a constant speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) for 20 minutes.
Secondary air system monitoring / secondary air systemonly for N74 engines: Start the engine from cold. Immediately, without an idle phase, drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) for 5 minutes.
EGR system monitoring / exhaust-gas recirculationDrive until engine is warm (approx. 80 °C coolant temperature).
Drive vehicle briskly for 10 minutes. 2 Idle phases of 1 minute each.

Reactions: Tomcat05

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
it is hard to find a place/roads to complete the driving cycle.
You don’t have to complete all of them on the same road & at the same time. You just need to meet & complete the required criteria for the monitoring to be complete. For instance, if you complete the 1st requirement (start cold engine & idle for 3 minutes)…but it takes a mile or two with stop signs or lights before you can reach one of the other criteria…or if the highway portion (drive between 40MPH-60MPH for at least 15 minutes) can be accomplished before the lower 20MPH-30MPH for 4 minutes…that’s okay. Just DON”T exceed the 3000 RPM, 60 MPH speed requirement, or turn the engine off…you can move on to one of the other requirements….and make sure you complete the task as given. If it calls for 15 minutes….you MUST do AT LEAST 15 minutes…14 minutes will not complete the test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.