BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Lap Dog
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it took me and my cousin an hour to install the cold air intake. I detached the air flow meter with the stock unit and wasted ~ 1/2 hour trying to figure out what I'd done wrong. For anyone that knows what they are doing, it shouldn't take more than 20-25 min. We make a good team - it's like the deaf and the blind going in business together :p Once we figured out that we had disconnected the stock unit incorrectly and put the air flow meter back in, the installation was a breeze. It took some twisting and bending, esp. with getting the heat shield in place. I think the color instructions could benefit from better pictures and more detail. The pictures on the website are actually much better than those on the instructions.

My first driving impression was that throttle response was much quicker at any speed but particularly in the low RPM's. The DSC light was coming up a lot more often at any RPM speed. I would not venture into guessing what the horsepower and torque gains are but suffice to say they are noticeable across the whole RPM band. The sound of the engine when you sink your foot in is absolutely intoxicating - aggressive and with a lot more growl. The only drawback is the whistle at partial throttle. It sounds a lot like the fuel injector at idle speed when you stand on the passenger side outside the car. It also has about the same intensity at its worst. It has a metallic overtone to it like grinding. I hope I will get used to it but during the test drive I kept thinking that there might be something wrong with my wheels/brakes. Overall, I am happy with the mod - the car feels more sporty, it sounds significantly better at full throttle, and it is noticeably quicker. I'll have to see if I can live with the whistle at partial throttle in the next few weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.