BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted driving lights behind the grille? I believe if a metal bracket is fabricated and attached to the front bumper at the proper height, lights could be mounted behind the grille at the proper height that both allow the use of the lights and provide protection.

Thoughts and experiences welcomed!

Michael Wylie

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would just use the stock in air dam location to avoid the ******* trucker look myself. But if you are set on doing it behind the grill avoid obtructing airflow to the radiator and remember the grill is plastic to avoid melting it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Has anyone mounted driving lights behind the grille? I believe if a metal bracket is fabricated and attached to the front bumper at the proper height, lights could be mounted behind the grille at the proper height that both allow the use of the lights and provide protection.

Michael Wylie
Michael ... please don't :cry:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Back in the '80's, I mounted driving lights behind the grille of my '73 Dodge Dart 340 Sport. I used several large "L" brackets on each side of the lights to hold them in place. Looked pretty damn good. Today I wouldn't mount driving lights since they are out of style (behind the grille) but my friend mounted the bright blue L.E.D. strips behind the grille of his 2011 Sonata. They are mounted high facing down (above the grilles) so you don't actually see the strips, but you only see the light emitted from them. Looks awsome.

Attachments

·
Go Dawgs!
1,076 Posts

Really? :dunno:

·
Semper Fi!!
264 Posts
:rofl:... this is the same post i saw a while back when an e46 member did this to his car.. all i got to say is have ur flame suit on stand by! :p

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Back in the '80's, I mounted driving lights behind the grille of my '73 Dodge Dart 340 Sport. I used several large "L" brackets on each side of the lights to hold them in place. Looked pretty damn good. Today I wouldn't mount driving lights since they are out of style (behind the grille) but my friend mounted the bright blue L.E.D. strips behind the grille of his 2011 Sonata. They are mounted high facing down (above the grilles) so you don't actually see the strips, but you only see the light emitted from them. Looks awsome.
I bet you wish you still had that Dart! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Here's a few more ideas to go along with the fog lights behind the grill! :yikes:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Family car

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Do what you want with the car. Some people like a certain appearance. There are body kits for the E60 that cost thousands that make the car look like a riced out altima. If you like the look, you will attract people who also like the look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, obviously I hit a nerve. Due to public ridicule being exponentially greater than the need to see on country roads, I shall retire this idea. The curb feelers were kinda exciting though. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Well, obviously I hit a nerve. Due to public ridicule being exponentially greater than the need to see on country roads, I shall retire this idea. The curb feelers were kinda exciting though. ;-)
Good man! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Come on! Don't give in too easily - some fun iRidicule going on here. :bigpimp:

If you wanna get folks real excited suggest that you want to drive around in perfectly good weather with your fog lights on. I double-dog dare ya!

but seriously...

Do you already have the active xenon headlamps? If you already have those, you could try giving them a slight adjustment up so at least the low beam is a bit higher on the road. That is on my to do list.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
I used to run around Daly City with my old '70 Mustang. If you install an amber light behind your grill, I bet it will look exactly what mine looked at night... except of course we're talking a few $$$ difference. I only bought my car for $2500 back in '73. :D

You should consult with Ant. He likes to follow a different drummer...

I too am looking for a performance tire with a white sidewall. :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
We're just playing with you. Most of us on this thread are the resident jokesters. Before I head over to the thread where the guy is wanting to put a vinyl top on his car***8230; why don't you just upgrade your fog lights like I did? They won't do much good in the actual fog, but, they sure will let you see down those country roads. Cost about $150.00 and is a DIY. See for yourself with video of my car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I bet you wish you still had that Dart! :thumbup:
Damn right!!! Running with a 650 Holley Carb, Blackjack headers, 8 3/4 posi rear and cam... I miss that car more than any other car I owned. Ran the quarter mile in 12 seconds flat. My version of the BMW M5 ala '73 Dart style! :D
She was very similar to what's pictured below, same color, stripes, sunroof, fold down rear seats, but was running with SS Crager rims, very popular back in the '80's.
Oh, the good old days....with no worries like HPFP, battery registry and $200.00 oil changes!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts