BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave on May 17th and have finalized everything except my driving routes. I know there are some great roads, and want to make sure that if they are within a reasonable distance to make sure I cover them on my journey. If anyone has any comments on the below routes, I would be more than happy to hear them:

Munich - Fussen: Take the Romantic Road
Fussen - Bergamo: Go through Lasa, Italy and Bormio, Italy?
Lake Como - Murren/Interlaken/Lauterbraunnen: ?
Murren, etc. - Alsace: Black Forest
Alsace to Nurburgring: ?
Nurburgring to Munich: ?

Where I don't have anything planned, I was going to use either the default Nav route or what I get from a via michelin printout. I'm open to improving anything else I have written too. Thanks in advance!

·
Laguna Seca Guy
466 Posts
I leave on May 17th and have finalized everything except my driving routes. I know there are some great roads, and want to make sure that if they are within a reasonable distance to make sure I cover them on my journey. If anyone has any comments on the below routes, I would be more than happy to hear them:

Munich - Fussen: Take the Romantic Road
Fussen - Bergamo: Go through Lasa, Italy and Bormio, Italy?
Lake Como - Murren/Interlaken/Lauterbraunnen: ?
Murren, etc. - Alsace: Black Forest
Alsace to Nurburgring: ?
Nurburgring to Munich: ?

Where I don't have anything planned, I was going to use either the default Nav route or what I get from a via michelin printout. I'm open to improving anything else I have written too. Thanks in advance!
Here are a few suggestions, based on fun driving and great scenery as priorities.

Munich-Fussen: Try the road from Oberau, through Ettal to Reutte. This goes over the Ammersattel pass and follows the shore of the beautiful Plansee.

Fussen-Bergamo: Wow, so many great choices. But the best in my book (assuming the Stelvio is open) would be through Reutte and over the Fernpass to Imst, then the A12 and B180 up to Reschenpass. Then continue to the Stelvio turnoff and climb the 48 hairpins to the top of the famous pass (also know as Stilsferjoch). Continue on down to Tirano and then to Bergamo, either via the shore of Lago Di Como or Lago D'Iseo.

Como-Interlaken: More great choices! Any of the numerous pass roads near Andermatt are awesome adventures. My favorites are the Furka, Grimsel and Susten Passes. Just pick a route and enjoy. The historic St Gotthard Pass (don't take the tunnel) is an interesting historical visit.

Murren, etc. - Alsace: As you leave Interlaken, go east over the Brunigpass toward Lucerne. Then turn off at Giswil and take the Panoramastrasse over the Glaubenbuelen Pass and on down to Entlebuch.

Alsace to Nurburgring: Just take the fastest route to the Ring!:D Well, if you need some scenery along the way, take the road along the west side of the Rhein from Bingen to Koblenz. Another beautiful route is to leave the Rhein at Boppard and cut over to the Mosel River, then follow that to Cochem or beyond. Then go north to the Ring.

Nurburgring to Munich: Maybe a bit of the Romantic Road and a short visit to Rothenburg or Dinkelsbuhl.

These suggestions are most certainly not the fastest way to your destinations, but they are memorable. Enjoy!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Great Ideas!

Nice to hear the Ammersattel pass is a good one, as it is on my route!

If you are looking for Driving near Nurburgring, I would highly recommend the drive along the Mosel and up to Burg Eltz. Definately worth the trip if you have the time.

In switzerland, I love the Grindelwald valley (wengen, Murren). Another great place to explore

·
Registered
138 Posts
Driving road suggestion

Can some of you gentleman familiar with driving roads in Germany suggest the most interesting driving path from Munich to Vienna that will not take more than 8-9 hours? I am picking my wife from the Vienna airport next day after ED. Normaly it should take approximately 4 and half hours ,(Per Google direction). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap! Thanks!

·
Laguna Seca Guy
466 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts