BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

When it comes to Piloti's...

• I have a pair.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I want a pair.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I don't want a pair - they are really lame.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • I already have other driving shoes.

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Huh? Oh yeah... The Goonies! ;)

Votes: 2 7.1%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered some Piloti's online. I wanted to have some snazzy shoes to drive home in when my car finally gets here (it's a 2.5 hour drive from Cutter to my house... add the break-in exits and i'm sure it will be around 4 hours or so). ;)

Hopefully they will arrive soon so I will have time to break them in a little. I ordered the 'Rallye' style (gray) because I like that they go a little higher up on the ankle.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them. I was considering wearing them around as my regular sneakers instead of my Nike/Adidas shoes but I'm wondering how long they last. Is it best to just save them for driving? I'm also considering the ones that don't look like sneakers (the 'dressy ones') for 'work'.

I realize someone posted this before, but it didn't bring many replies and there are many new members here now... hoping to hear someone's experience.

Thanks,

--SONET

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Until I get behind the wheel of an F1 or Indy car, I don't think I need anything more elaborate than my tennis shoes.

They've served me well for 1/2 dozen driving schools, and I don't look like a geek wearing them.

IMHO, driving gloves are a better investment that driving shoes (but that is after you already have a helmet).

G

·
Emission said:
Until I get behind the wheel of an F1 or Indy car, I don't think I need anything more elaborate than my tennis shoes.

They've served me well for 1/2 dozen driving schools, and I don't look like a geek wearing them.

IMHO, driving gloves are a better investment that driving shoes (but that is after you already have a helmet).
So far I have a decent helmet (Bell M2) and a neck brace (Sparco). I will definitely get gloves before I get shoes. I had no problems with the rubber-soled leather shoes I've worn to go to drivers school and to autox.

But I have no plans to buy anything else this year.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
TD said:

"... and a neck brace (Sparco).
Yes, I've got the neck brack too (Simpson, I think). I had it on when I spun my 330i several times. I don't have facts to back it up, but I am sure it kept my head from bouncing around (and the Schroth harness did a wonderful job keeping me in my seat).

My list:

1. Helmet
2. Neck Brace
3. Harness
4. Gloves
5. Dedicated set of Wheels/Tires

G

·
Emission said:

Yes, I've got the neck brack too (Simpson, I think). I had it on when I spun my 330i several times. I don't have facts to back it up, but I am sure it kept my head from bouncing around (and the Schroth harness did a wonderful job keeping me in my seat).

My list:

1. Helmet
2. Neck Brace
3. Harness
4. Gloves
5. Dedicated set of Wheels/Tires
Actually, I can understand why a harness is that high up on the list. I'll probably add one as soon as I move up out of the C group (it just seems premature at my experience level).

And I'm actively killing the Contis that came on my car so that I can replace them with stickier rubber. But as they give up early and predictably, I think they're great tires to learn on.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I've got the helmet and shoes (Nike Speedcats) I find the shoes really help versus tennis shoes. You have much better throttle control, all you have to do is lift your big toe to decrease the throttle setting.

My hands don't sweat much at all but I do plan to get gloves, most people in our club use them.

I've only seen one or two people with neck braces.
No plans to get one, I have spun my car three times and don't seeehow it would have helped at all.

My .02,
Haus

G

·
in_d_haus said:
I've got the helmet and shoes (Nike Speedcats) I find the shoes really help versus tennis shoes. You have much better throttle control, all you have to do is lift your big toe to decrease the throttle setting.

My hands don't sweat much at all but I do plan to get gloves, most people in our club use them.

I've only seen one or two people with neck braces.
No plans to get one, I have spun my car three times and don't seeehow it would have helped at all.

My .02,
Haus
I don't know, IDH, I think the neck brace is a very important safety item as it supports your head, especially with your head carrying the extra weight of your helmet.

Here's a link to a pic of the neck brace I own. Basically, were I to be invovlved in some form of impact that slammed my head in some direction, the neck brace would help keep it generally upright.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/clothing/sparco_neck_supports.asp

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
You could be right TD. I do know the purpose of the neck brace and the value it gives. They are actually very reasonable in price (compared to a helmet) I guess it's cheap insurance. The helmets do get heavy. I have an open face one myself.

·
Registered
678 Posts
According to the instructors I've talked to, driving shoes all about feel. You can feel more through the pedals with driving shoes than with most street shoes.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
cenotaph said:
According to the instructors I've talked to, driving shoes all about feel. You can feel more through the pedals with driving shoes than with most street shoes.
You are right Cen, compared to most shoes the driving shoes do give you better feel. I know many in our club buy wrestling shoes, they are cheaper and work as well as "real" driving shoes... they just aren't Nomex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.