BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some connections to finally have my rear cover replaced to stop the coolant leak. This involves dropping the transmission and a quick clean/replacement. Will I have any issues if I remove the exhaust and heat shields to save a few hours of labor? My idea is to bring my X5 to the shop to drop the driveshaft and transmission and replace the rear cover but avoid the labor cost of removing the exhaust and heat shields. Basically, drop the car off without exhaust and heat shields, reinstall after the repair is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
727 Posts
Talk to the shop doing the work. The dealership and lots of independents look in a book and charge you what the book rate is. You might find an independent that will bill you for actual work but it's rare because the money is in beating the book!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talk to the shop doing the work. The dealership and lots of independents look in a book and charge you what the book rate is. You might find an independent that will bill you for actual work but it's rare because the money is in beating the book!

The shop I am talking to is willing to bill whatever it actually takes and are willing to let me provide parts and present it to them how I want to. Book is 9 hours. I have watched this replacement and I think it could be down to 4 hours or so if I do what I mentioned. I just want to make sure it is ok to drive without the exhaust and heat shields for a short time to get it there. I’m still thinking of doing it myself. I would love to cut labor expenses where I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m shopping around for competent work since half of this job is nuts and bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
No heat shields have to come off. Only the exhaust. Which is big and heavy especially since you only have ramps and no lift. Also warranty is something to think about.

I’d leave it all to the shop.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest

·
What was that?
912 Posts
Looks like you would be removing from the catalytic converter back. I am assuming yours is a V8, is that correct? I don’t recall how we routed on the six in line, but it may be equally as complex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. Exhaust and heat shields are just nuts and bolts so it would be nice to save some book time and let them focus on the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very few technicians will assemble what you disassemble at a discounted rate. That's reasonable.
I don't expect them to re-install the heat shields and exhaust. The plan would be to do that when the vehicle was back home. They would only focus on the transmission and rear cover installation. If they are willing to do this and provide a warranty, I just want to know the issues that are presented with driving without the exhaust and heat shields in place. In the end I will probably just have my Indy do the whole job but I am interested in the option of what I presented.

·
What was that?
912 Posts
I see no reason why you couldn’t, as long as you are driving a very short distance and keep revs low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts