BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First post here on the E39 board. looks like a great source. I just sold my E34 and purchased a 2000 528i-a w/ Premuim Package 60K miles. Love it. Already looking at supension. HA!. I did not find too much info on a search but apparentley daytime running lights can be activated. Is this dealer activated only or can a good independant shop do this? I am assumming it is done by diagnostic/service computer. Any iinsight would be appreciated. Thx

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Dealer only...Indy can most likely do it but call them first to make sure--they need to have the MODIC computer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i'm pretty sure that you can do that with Carsoft and an ebay type interface. Its for the computer fiends though, getting the whole thing working I mean...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Drl

ChileBeam, can I do that on my 97 528i?? (get a discount on insurance for DRL):D

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
I'm pretty sure all E39s can have DRLs turned on...but you need a dealer's help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Carsoft won't do it, I'm not sure about PA-Soft though.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kind of a silly question but when activated, are the DRL's use the high beam headllight bulb at a resisted level?

·
Registered
237 Posts
glocati said:
Kind of a silly question but when activated, are the DRL's use the high beam headllight bulb at a resisted level?
Yes, DRL uses the high beams at lower voltage (making them yellowish also)

Car soft can change the door auto lock option, the clock (12 vs 24 hrs), display language and a couple more options. I couldn't find DRL there.

Tan

·
Registered
237 Posts
e39breyton said:
Can they deactivate the checking rear taillight bulbs too?
I believe that it's a dealer programmable option when you upgrade to rear LED's. The LCM calculates the resistor values of the lights and if they're not within specs, the error code's displayed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
TheMatrixz said:
I believe that it's a dealer programmable option when you upgrade to rear LED's. The LCM calculates the resistor values of the lights and if they're not within specs, the error code's displayed.
that's weird because i upgraded to LEDs and i never got an error message for rear taillights...:dunno:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Some of the after-market celis packs have the resistors to provide correct value to the LCM

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
TheMatrixz said:
Yes, DRL uses the high beams at lower voltage (making them yellowish also)

Tan
Errr, not quite. The voltage is the same...the current is lower. The DRLs are your high beams at approximately 30% power (or 30% current).

·
Registered
237 Posts
I originally wanted to tap into DRL for powering the halo lights (for touring), and the voltage I measured was about 3.8v or so, the same as side markers. That's why I think they drop the voltage, not current.

The side makers also use 3.8V for some strange reason (very odd voltage when looking bulbs in the stores)

Tan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.