Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may just be my eyes being off, but are there actually two different LED patterns depending on the headlights? I have the Laser Lights and the DRL's light up at the lower arms and bend up to the sides of the lights while some on the street seem to just have the lower ones.

I know there are 3 different DRL patterns for the 3 series, so was just curious on the X5.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
And BMW has been changing the design of the headlights with the facelift (LCI) models. I don't follow any of the BMW below a nomenclature of 5...but all of the F series models got new designs with their facelift models. BMW has gone from the original halos (debuted in 2001 on the e39) to the LED corona rings (around the 2010/11 model years)...then unto the really bright corona rings on the early F chassis models...to now using only an "underscore" below the headlights. Actual "rings" are mostly gone, now. :(

This is a 2018 X5 with HID/xenon headlights and almost full circle corona rings:

This is a 2019 X5 :

This is a 2020 X5 :

·
Registered
456 Posts
The above is incorrect in regards to the 2019s and 2020's. There is no difference between the two years in regards to the DRLs, the difference is between laser and non-laser headlight assemblies. The oft complained about, non-laser headlights have the small, lower portion lights as depicted in the last picture. The laser headlight assembly has the DRLs shown in the middle picture.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
The above is incorrect in regards to the 2019s and 2020's. There is no difference between the two years in regards to the DRLs...
If you’re referring to my post (#3)...it sounds like you misunderstood my post. It wasn’t so much about DRLs or the Laser/LED lights of the latest models...it was about the changing shape of the halo/corona rings from the original design when they actually were in the shape of a “ring” to the new designs that are no longer rings. The images were only examples of what they used to be (starting back a few years) to what you may see on 2019 & 2020 models.

I was responding to what the OP wrote in regards to the LED pattern differences they were seeing and showed some examples...but I never said that these were the laser lights or LED lights for the 2019 & 2020 models pictured.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused if that is what it came across as. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts