BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the 2006 330xi (with bluetooth) - I know I can connect my garmin to my car and get it to work through the radio. I know I can get my phone to work through my car radio.

Now I have the Moto droid - which syncs up for my phone. Does anyone know how to get it to work with the radio? I would love to listen to my music, through my droid, onto my car system without having to connect any wires.

Spoke with a friend he said the BMW needs bluetooth A2DP...does the 330 2006 have A2DP or is it 1.1/1.0

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darn!
This is the first phone of this kind that I have and so far so good. I like all the features.

My friend who has the Storm was thinking of getting this phone but was teetering...after he saw this he wants it. I have a coworker who is a mac junky and really likes this.

So look into it if you think it may be time to upgrade.

-Furball

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be careful kids, the Droid hasn't been tested by BMW yet, and if it screws up the TCU in the car that is a CUSTOMER PAY repair -- to the tune of $300-400. A phone book not syncing or the phone un-pairing itself after being sync'd the first time are danger signals that you are using a phone that will kill the TCU in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tcu?

What is a TCU?

Also, given the Droid's open architecture, would it be possible for someone to eventually create an app that will allow the phone book to synch?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What is a TCU?

Also, given the Droid's open architecture, would it be possible for someone to eventually create an app that will allow the phone book to synch?
No, the car itself does not have the proper software to be compatable. The phones that sync properly have software that is compatable with the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No, the car itself does not have the proper software to be compatable. The phones that sync properly have software that is compatable with the car.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. It's not exactly rocket science to make an app to sync contacts with the car. Since I happen to have an android phn too, I'll dig deeper into it and if I do have enough time will definitely create sth to make this work. Which phone(s) are compatible with BMW ?

Edit: Here is the list of compatible phones: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...urBMW/CurrentlyAvailableCompatiblePhones.aspx

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. It's not exactly rocket science to make an app to sync contacts with the car. Since I happen to have an android phn too, I'll dig deeper into it and if I do have enough time will definitely create sth to make this work. Which phone(s) are compatible with BMW ?

Edit: Here is the list of compatible phones: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...urBMW/CurrentlyAvailableCompatiblePhones.aspx
I think I do since I swap phones every 6 months. There is reason that BMW gives you the software version for a particular model of phone they have tested. I have had phone software updated to then have the phone no longer fully sync properley. I have also had many non approved phones sync without the phone book working locking the TCU. Luckily I know how to unlock it. Of course it's not rocket science to make the app, but if Motorolla doesn't do it BMW for sure won't. There many motorolla phones that will not work properly in aBMW and they never fixed it. Especially if it is made for Verizon since they change the software from motorolla's spec.

·
BMW CCA #405768
196 Posts
I just returned 2 Droids as they did not work. First one would not dial out (no touch pad) the second one would not get the internet for the maps or gmail. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK folks - let's discuss Bluetooth. Bluetooth is a standard and for an item to carry the Bluetooth logo it needs to meet those standards. If BMW made their vehicles non-bluetooth compliant and then slapped Bluetooth logo on their product they would be in violation of the standard and would leave themselves to a lawsuit. I highly doubt they would do that.

The Droid works perfectly fine in my 2006 330XI. I get the phone book, it dials, and I can speak through it.

If BMW came to me with "your phone killed the car" I would laugh at them and then sue them if they didn't fix it at their dime, and then throw industry experts at them who would mock their claims. Really - your phone will not break your car - it's more that the car was coded in an incorrect fashion and had the equivelant of a BSOD. That is tBMWs fault since they slapped the Bluetooth logo on their product - which means it needs to be industry compliant.

The reason the radio does not work with the phone is because it is not A2DP (which is hardware and software limitations) - though I would think if audio from your phone can travel to your radio then it shouldn't have a problem with music (honestly bluetooth doesn't know what information is being transported - audio is audio).

Anyhow - such is life.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just returned 2 Droids as they did not work. First one would not dial out (no touch pad) the second one would not get the internet for the maps or gmail. :thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:
Yuor droids didn't work on their own or in conjunction with your car? If it is on your own then your post is off topic and belongs in the motorola forums. If it is with your car - well it works in mine.

If your phones are just broken I am sorry to hear that. I got mine on Friday and it works great.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think I do since I swap phones every 6 months. There is reason that BMW gives you the software version for a particular model of phone they have tested. I have had phone software updated to then have the phone no longer fully sync properley. I have also had many non approved phones sync without the phone book working locking the TCU. Luckily I know how to unlock it. Of course it's not rocket science to make the app, but if Motorolla doesn't do it BMW for sure won't. There many motorolla phones that will not work properly in aBMW and they never fixed it. Especially if it is made for Verizon since they change the software from motorolla's spec.
Actually BMW doesn't modify software to make it compatible with particular phones. It's the other way around. BMW publishes a particular interface and whichever phone supports it pops up in the list of BMW supported phones. In order to implement the support on an android phone you will need this 'interface' from BMW. It might be possible to reverse-engineer current implementations from currently supported phones.

Anyways, I've just tested my phone G1. Everything works fine... I can even scroll through the addressbook using the rotary knob. However, dialing name via voice command doesn't work. Tells me 'Address book is empty'. Everything else works though ....

·
BMW CCA #405768
196 Posts
Yuor droids didn't work on their own or in conjunction with your car? If it is on your own then your post is off topic and belongs in the motorola forums. If it is with your car - well it works in mine.

If your phones are just broken I am sorry to hear that. I got mine on Friday and it works great.
They did not work right out of the box. Went back to my VX10000 Voyager. :mad:

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They did not work right out of the box. Went back to my VX10000 Voyager. :mad:
Weird...what year/model? I didn't have to do anything except sync the two phones. It took me a couple of minutes and I have been using it since I got it on Friday.

·
Cutter of animals
66 Posts
Had the Droid a couple days now. The BMW acknowledges it's existence, but won't talk to the damn thing. Worked perfect with my 3 year old phone, but with the Droid...nothing. Any hope for a software fix from Google?

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
Hey Furby! Enjoy the new phone. I saw that in the Verizon store and it looks cool as all get out - a perfect companion to the high tech cabin electronics in the E9x.

·
Registered
865 Posts
... However, dialing name via voice command doesn't work. Tells me 'Address book is empty'. Everything else works though ....
The car's "voice-dial" phonebook is not related to the one in the phone. You need to populate it with voice entries for the car to be able to dial by name. All described in the manual.

·
Munchen bound
1,205 Posts
I sat in my 750Li, did nothing at all, and the phonebook completely loaded in within ten seconds. I was stunned. It works great without any issues at all. I prefer my I-phone, but AT&T's service is so poor I paid to get out of my contract so I could get back on to Verizon--a far better network. I suspect Verizon will have the I-phone in a few months anyways, but I just could not tolerate the service any longer.

The droid is 70% of what the I-phone was/is, and that's being generous.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
AT&T is no better out here either :tsk:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts