Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I request your opinion as to how I fix my 550i’s front-left drooping fender. I’ve been trying to fix the hood’s alignment for weeks and come to find out its looks to be the fender. I’m the original owner of the car and it has never been in an accident. I have pics of when I first got the car and everything aligned properly. The car has been sitting for quite a long time (out in the hot FL sun) as I was physically unable to drive for the better part of a year and a half. It wasn’t until I started to restore all of the melted rubber moulding/gaskets back in Feb 2019 that I noticed the mis-alignment. I’ve made every conceivable adjustment to make the hood align with fender/headlamp to no avail.

I forgot mention that at @65K miles it was either the water or oil pump broke and the engine had to be removed to repair it; according to the SA. So, the SA said while the engine is out why not replace the common wear and tear items ie. valves, springs etc.. it cost 10K+ to fix and overhaul. I tell you the engine was totally different and it felt very strong. This event happened about 8 years ago and I’m assuming the fender “may” have been removed back then — I really don’t know and I unfortunately don’t have any pics of it at that time. The 550i is now 13 years old and only has 90K miles.

Overall the car is in great shape and the only persistent problem I have is an Adaptive Headlamp error. I replaced the SMC modules (then put one back in to fix a stuck light pointing up and to the right. I’m at the point that I will just ignore the error; been working this issue for weeks too. They were working perfectly before I removed them to swap out the melted gaskets and to polish the lens.

Anyway, note in pic #1 that it appears droopy (wheel well forward and down at the front-top of the tire) vs the passenger’s side pic $2. Anyone got an idea how to fix it.

Attachments

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,904 Posts
Are you sure the drivers side hood is latching? On my previous E60 I drove on the highway with the hood half latched and it twisted the hood to the point where i had to push down both sides independently to latch.

The adaptive headlight modules code their position when installed and need to go back on the side they came from.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, both eyelets are latching. I have the driver's side screwed all the way in and its fits very snug. I even shimmed driver's side the latch to make it pull the hood lower. That did basically nothing.

Yeah I've read that the SMC's self-adjust. When i out the old one back in it fixed the light from pointing up and right. They both are now pointing directly ahead and neither level anymore only the passenger's side attempts to move and then throws the Adaptive error. I'm going to put the original one back in the driver's side and see the result. I'm sure i will still get the error; again i will just ignore it unless i can code it to inactive via Carly for BMW (which I just received this afternoon)

BTW: Thanks for your input!

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,904 Posts
I think carly can code the headlight modules.

It looks like, maybe, the driver's side hinge slipped down a bit. The passenger's hinge looks like it's in the right spot, but there's no gap at the front on the passenger's side and it's too wide at the driver's front. At the driver's side hinge, the panels don't line up.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,066 Posts
Is the fender dropping or the hood not aligned correctly?
Make sure the front tires are the same psi.
Measure the distance from the center hub of the wheel on each side to the underside of the fender.
If the measurement is the same, then the fender is not drooping. Now, if could be off a few mm and I'd call that equal.
Be aware there are legit reasons the measurement might not be the same - worn struts, suspension work one side only. BMW even has specs for this measurement. As I recall look under "Normal Position" in newtis.info

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fantastic ideas!

I verified all of the tire’s pressure yesterday as I usually check them monthly (I keep a scheduler for such tasks). However, I will measure anyway see what those results reveal.

The side hinge theory sounds very logical; I will have to research that.

As stated earlier, the final step, if not resolved, take it to a Pro.

Thanks!

Ps. Maybe I’ll just let my wife deal with it - she’s the next owner ;-)) But, of course I’ll still be the maintainer. I ordered a shiny, new 2019 F90 M5 and it’s just sitting at the port waiting to go aboard the carrier ship for its trip across the pond.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a Before pic #1 Top (circa 2008 - that’s as old as I can find) and After (lower pic #2 taken a few weeks ago). In pic #1 the alignment was dead-on. If you look close enough you can see how the hood doesn’t quite lay flush wither driver’s side headlamp and fender in pic #2.

I would have posted this pic initially, but was unable to find it until now.

Errata / Ad nauseam - I’ve had many computer systems over the years and have data backed-up in the cloud, several external drives and local drives on an array of systems. I was an IT Computer Engineer for 38 years and have recently retired. I just want to make sure data loss is mitigated,

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could be something as simple as a hood stop raised too high preventing the hood from fully closing.
I tried that - I actually took out the rubber stopper to allow it to lower to its fully closed position - no joy.

I seemed to have fixed the “Adaptive Headlamp” error by putting the original SMC Modules back on. The error is no longer being thrown and the lights are moving in the expected lateral axis. However, I haven’t seen te lights perform the initial auto-level anymore. So, I’m ok with that as it seems to be already leveled. I’m going to re-verify them against the garage wall and manually adjust, if necessary.

Drooping Fender: I will post the measurement results on the center axle to gender bottom later today. I started that task yesterday but had to stop because of our (FL) summer showers.

Thanks again guys for your invaluable input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Both center axle to fender bottom lengths are 13" each. I'm going to fiddle with the hood bolts and probably stick a shim at the rear bolt to change its angle, hopefully making it fit more snug.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts