BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Mike Swing
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have any real results with a drop in air filter? I'm not expecting HP gains. Just wondering if its worth it to get a K&N reusable filter for gas saving purposes. I've read some threads about how people have bought one but no one really tells about any results. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
168 Posts
^ no... thats bull...

have had K&N air intake/filter kits in about 5 of my cars.. never an issue with MAF sensors.

Make sure you remove the carbon filter if your car has it. I did that to mine and added the RPI ram air scoop.. all together, I can actually tell the difference

· Registered
168 Posts
I think he's referring to the AFE intake kit. I've seen a lot of threads on it @ 5series.net about it saying the AFE intake doesn't increase performance. Actually might even decrease power since its prone to heat soak.

· Registered
614 Posts
I have a K&N drop in filter and it's fine. Honeslty, I don't notice any difference but I usually replace all my cars air filters with a K&N at some point.

· Propellers Up Front
2,020 Posts
I think he's referring to the AFE intake kit. I've seen a lot of threads on it @ 5series.net about it saying the AFE intake doesn't increase performance. Actually might even decrease power since its prone to heat soak.
^^^True. Why put the cones under the hot engine bay when the car has the cool air drawn from the side of the grill in stock form? :dunno: A K&N drop in filter with an RPI scoop is a very good setup which nets 5MPG with the charcoal filter removed. (although is says not to). RPI says their scoop gets about 5-7HP at apeeds above 70MPH. Not sure about that, but there is a very minute low end grunt at WOT with the charcoal filter removed and a drop in filter (K&N) installed.

· Registered
21,911 Posts
can't say about gas saving because I put it in pretty quickly after buying the car - but it "feels" better - and I hear the whistle/rush of air when it revs - never heard that with stock... butt dyno thinks it is better but only a little... :dunno:

· Propellers Up Front
2,020 Posts
Where is the charcoal filter? Sorry, I haven't messed with my intake yet and I don't want to ruin anything before I start.
Its on the inside of the top of the airbox. Use a flat tip screwdriver and pry it out. You have to be a little aggressive, but it comes out. It has the writing "Do Not Remove" on it.:rofl:
I think it was designed for US emissions.
Here's a pic of what it looks like removed.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4434&pictureid=26627

· Registered
168 Posts
^^^True. A K&N drop in filter with an RPI scoop is a very good setup which nets 5MPG with the charcoal filter removed. (although is says not to)..
5MPG?

I have this set up and it increased 1.5MPG at the most id say. No where near 5...

· Propellers Up Front
2,020 Posts
5MPG?

I have this set up and it increased 1.5MPG at the most id say. No where near 5...
Well, I haven't done a physical calculation. I've only based it on what
the computer is saying. I also do have the N52. (difference?) The trade off is one to
consider since any gain is acceptable.

· Registered
168 Posts
^ agree... any gain in MPG is good.

· Registered
182 Posts
Anyone on here have any real results with a drop in air filter? I'm not expecting HP gains. Just wondering if its worth it to get a K&N reusable filter for gas saving purposes. I've read some threads about how people have bought one but no one really tells about any results. Thanks in advance.
No. I don't believe any aftermarket filter will do anything measurable in any quantifiable way, except possibly drain your wallet.

· Registered
168 Posts
No. I don't believe any aftermarket filter will do anything measurable in any quantifiable way, except possibly drain your wallet.
Results are measurable and have been. Its proven to increase performance and MPG.

Even if it didnt do any of that, the fact that it is reusable will save you $ in the long run since you wont have to buy a new filter ever again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.