BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I will be doing a ED on a 2005 Competition Package M3 this coming May.
I have four whole weeks planned of driving just about everywhere,
and I'm sure I'll post more questions as the delivery date draws nearer,
but for now I just wanted to know if anyone has dropped off their car in Madrid.

I'd really prefer to drop it off in Munich (where cars are being dropped off every day...)
than in Spain (where I might be faced with someone that either doesn't know what the heck is going on or simply doesn't do this
not only on a daily basis but even on a monthly basis... (knowledge and insight of my own country allows me to venture this scenario...).
I could be totally wrong however. Even Spain has caught up with the times. Not that Italy is really all that different, but I digress...

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm from Spain and most likely (and hopefully),
that's where my trip will end. Any info is very much appreciated.

·
Have a world-class day
756 Posts
Do a search and type "Madrid dropoff experience" and you'll find lots of information on dropping off there. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drop off Madrid (reply)

Good Evening:

I just dropped off my vehicle in Madrid (Feb. 25th 2005), after driving there from Munich.
The folks there were professional, and all the paper work was ready. I had contacted them a few weeks prior, so they knew when I was arriving.
I was just notified today that the vehicle is on a ship, and will be arriving in Long Beach (I think) on the 5th of April. Barring any calamities, I should see it a couple of weeks after that.

One minor quibble about dropping off in Madrid: It would have been nice if the folks had given us a lift to the Madrid Airport, but they did call us a cab (20 Euros!).

Also, the gentleman at the BMW factory had hinted that there is a lot of theft in Spain, but we never experienced any problems. One thing that I did was pay additional for parking at every hotel we stayed at.

If you are heading through southern France (probabaly not avoidable), drive over the (just finished) Millau Bridge ... wow, it's neat to drive over the world's tallest bridge.

Cheers,
Patrick

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
PatrickM said:
Also, the gentleman at the BMW factory had hinted that there is a lot of theft in Spain, but we never experienced any problems. One thing that I did was pay additional for parking at every hotel we stayed at.
I suspect vandalism is a much greater problem. Some of Germany's rowdier elements vacation in Spain and provoke a reaction from some of the locals against cars with German plates.

I really enjoyed my last trip there but had someone smash a tail light assembly while the car was parked on an uncrowded residential street. Later in another town, I watched as someone in a pick up truck slam into the other end for absolutely no rhyme or reason, and then drive away. I remember hearing the distinct crunch of metal as we watched but there were tracks and a railway platform in the way so there was not much we could do. Luckily, the driver chose to assault the car at its strongest point and only scuffed a trim strip. I am pretty sure he did much more damage to his truck.

Such things probably don't matter if you are visiting in an ED car with no-deductable insurance and BMW's VPCs ready and waiting to erase any and all damage. Still, they are annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
johnf said:
I suspect vandalism is a much greater problem. Some of Germany's rowdier elements vacation in Spain and provoke a reaction from some of the locals against cars with German plates.
Wow, interesting ... I thought that that may be, just due to the general economy of Spain.

Shifting gears ... I have posted two PDF maps to the Auto Turistica Drop off:
http://www.integralgis.com/maps/AutoTuristica.pdf
http://www.integralgis.com/maps/AutoTuristica2.pdf

These are better than the one they send you ... I hope you find it useful.
Incidentally, the maps were created in Microsoft MapPoint Europe ... this is a MUST HAVE when planning a trip to western Europe.

Cheers,
Patrick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Patrick and all,

Thanks for the maps and the info in general. I'm glad to see that Auto Turística does this on a regular basis.
Vandalism and theft shouldn't be a problem since I'll be avoiding big cities for the most part and, well, I know a thing or two about my country... ;)

I am indeed heading through the south of France and will definitely check the Millau Bridge. BTW, if you have any recommendations on where to stay
in that area in general, feel free to suggest them. But I know I want to give this region some time.

As of now, I have no concrete plans, other than avoiding very touristy areas and driving for 2 weeks around southern Germany, Switzerland, northern Italy, France and spending one week in northern Spain (Navarra, Basque Country, Rioja, Cantabria, Asturias and Galicia). If I had to narrow it down I would prefer
to concentrate on southern France and northern Spain and skip much of all the rest...

Since I won't have the Navigation option on borad (yes, I know.... :( ) can somebody recommend a must have guide/map/resource?
I've seen plenty online, but I'd rather carry something in my hands that I can consult at any given moment...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.