BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sitting in a parking lot, waiting for the flatbed. Sigh.

The car was running fine when my wife drove it about 20 mi and parked. On starting, there was a loud ticking noise that sounds like it's from the valve train. Not your slightly misadjusted lifter noise, but a really loud, ugly sound. Along with that, I'm getting misfire codes on cylinders four five and six. The car obviously struggles to start, and runs really lumpy when it does.

I can try to post a video of the sound later, but it's nothing like 99% of the videos talking about valve ticking. It sounds for all the world like a lifter has come loose, or fallen off. I don't know if that would cause misfires on multiple cylinders like that, or not.

Oh well, I was planning on doing that pesky leaky valve cover gasket anyway. Just not this week. :)

Anyone want to try to gently break to me what I'm in for? :)
Timing belt or chain.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm happy to say, no. It was "just" the flap from the outboard (left) DISA valve snapped off and floating around in that maze of a plastic intake. Normally I'm the first to grab the mechanic's stethoscope to diagnose exactly where the sound is coming from (sounded like the head standing in front of the car). But I really (!!!) didn't want to leave the car running for more than a few seconds at a time, in case something was seriously wrong with the valve train (including the timing chain).

It's not a huge amount of wasted effort though, as I was mentally preparing myself to do the valve cover gasket anyway, and there's no way in the world I'm not gonna replace the inboard (right) DISA valve, which requires pulling the manifold. And while that's off, the obviously bad oil separator has got to be swapped out. Oh, and look at that original starter sitting there... not going to be back here for a while, so IT'S gotta go, too.

Parts arriving Monday, so with any luck I'm hoping to have it back on the road mid-week. I've been spending my time waiting for parts cleaning a very oily engine and working on a buddy's car.

Which brings me to an interesting point. Both the car I found for his wife (2006 Honda Accord I4) and mine (2006 530xi touring) needed the "PCV" system service.

BMW: Pull the manifold, requiring a bewildering number of electronic connectors, hoses, brackets. Break a couple hoses that are NOT coming off intact. Spend a few hundred bucks in parts (heaven help you if you need a shop to do it). Probably 3-4 hours of effort.

Honda: Squeeze clip on PCV hose. Pull hose off. Unscrew PCV valve. Screw in new PCV valve. Squeeze hose clamp, slide hose over PCV valve nipple. Crack open an adult beverage - you're done. 5 minutes, under $10, including a craft beer (though not a "fancy craft beer").

·
2008 535xi wagon
3,219 Posts
What's the consensus on using high-temperature RTV (or not) on the valve cover gasket? I can kind of see the logic to either approach.
When I got my car with the N52, it had what appeared to be a relatively new gasket. But it was leaking, so I replaced it with a new gasket. New valve cover screws too. And not too long after, it was leaking again.

Cleaned it up, applied RTV, no more problems. Just a thin layer to fill in any imperfections. Never had a leak afterwards. Never had an issue getting the cover off later.

The leak on the N54 was from the oil filter housing gaskets, and I had to replace it twice - there is an updated gasket with nubs, made in Japan, you need to buy BMW to get it. It's more resistant to leaks, and in my case required to stop the leak.

I've also had the oil cooler hose connections weep. Also fixed by some RTV when the new gaskets didn't seal it.

So that's where my opinion comes from. Team RTV the problem gaskets. A hell of a lot cheaper than a new valve cover.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
OTOH, which car is more fun, the Honda or your BMW?
It's actually not my Honda, but one that I am helping a buddy with (found it, and am rehabbing it for him). And yes, there is no comparison - the Honda is a fine around-town car, and looks to be in pretty good shape for having a quarter million miles. But the Honda's just not a car you look back at walking away. ;-)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
OTOH, the standard design of the DISA valve is so bad that almost ANYTHING is an improvement. ;-)

FWIW, I'm still (!!!) waiting on parts. For some unknown reason, the vendor (who has corrected the problem, so shall remain nameless) didn't ship out on Friday, but TUESDAY. They were nice enough to refund the (fairly high) shipping cost I'd paid to get it here by Monday (ahem...). It was supposed to arrive today (Wednesday) but FedEx stepped in to push everything back yet another day. Maybe I'll get it back together Friday... sigh.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well, scratch Friday. The box showed up with obvious "re-taping", and weighing about five pounds less than it should. That's probably because the starter wasn't in the box. Sigh.

This is no doubt why the box was delayed by FedEx in Indianapolis (probably trying to figure out how to fix the damaged box).

Of course, the starter is the obvious first step in my megafix, being literally under everything else. So I can't start on reinstalling the intake (or oil filter housing / cooler since I'll do that after the intake).

So I can go ahead and do the valve cover gasket, right? Nope. The nice folks in the shipping department decided that they could fit this all in a slightly smaller box if they just folded a couple inches of the cardboard backing. Sigh...
Property Textile Wood Window Interior design

Ever have one of those weeks?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2001 325i 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
891 Posts
Ugh... I had my parents send me an oil pan gasket from washington state (only 3 hours from me, but the Canadian/US border was closed as this was May 2020) that had been sitting at their place for awhile from FCP Euro. Somehow it ended up in Perth Australia even though my dad clearly wrote the correct address on it. USPS found it and sent it to me bent, so ordered another one locally anyway...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ready for another update? I'm wondering what ELSE can go wrong (the mechanical problems are easy - getting the parts? - Not so much).

So far, here's the timeline...
May 4 - the outside DISA valve flap breaks loose. I get it flat-bedded home and torn down, and decide to do "everything" (valve cover gasket, oil separator, both DISA valves, hoses, starter, etc.)
May 5 - order the parts from FCP Euro, and pay $67 for one-day delivery (so I can be back on the road by the weekend of May 8).
May 10 - Parts are FINALLY shipped (FCP was kind enough to refund the $67). Supposed to be here the 11th.
May 11 - FedEx lets me know that the package is delayed in Indianapolis. Sigh
May 12 - box shows up with obvious re-taping job, and over five pounds too light. Starter is missing, and the shipping guys folded the valve cover gasket to fit it into a too-small box.
May 12 - contact FCP customer service, and they agree to re-ship the starter and valve cover gasket.
May 12 - receive notice that shipment was "fully shipped".
May 16 - box actually leaves FCP.
May 18 - box arrives. Awfully small box. Starter is there, and is intact. But yes, once again, the shipping guys folded the valve cover gasket over to fit it into the box.
Door mat Rectangle Textile Wood Flooring

Will I EVER get this car back on the road? ;-)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
FCP has been perfect until this (doomed) order. It looks like they're struggling with their shipping department (delays and boneheaded moves like folding VCGs in half).

Kurt, I would be tempted to get one locally, but for now I at least have the starter, so I can put the left half of the engine back together (intake, oil filter housing, etc.).

41 - 60 of 79 Posts