BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Now with Nano
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated EML

so after several weeks of driving a certain other car, I took the 330 for a little spin last night through the back roads. I didn't want anything to get in the way of me and any road feel so driving barefoot seemed like the thing to do. I also turned off the ventilation system and the audio system. for a brief time I drove with the sunroof open as well. it was pretty exhilarating, really.

anyway, I came to several realizations:

1) especially noticeable during quick left to right transitions is a certain vagueness or looseness of steering that is reminiscent of a recirculating ball nut type steering box in need of an adjustment. the steering ratio sucks and needs to be improved. I hope the M3s aren't this bad. maybe the retrofit was a placebo..??

2) the bimmer DOES handle very well but it's difficult to tell from within the isolation chamber. the sensory deprivation can be somewhat offset by adjusting the overhead sensory intensity throttle (more open = a richer mixture of sensory input). at this point, I have to agree with a statement in another thread that the increased road feel of my other (unnamed) car only feels like it's going faster. though it's a factor, it's not entirely true. if anything it adds to the fun factor.

3) I now have this new appreciation for EML recalibration as with the Dinan software and upcoming Conforti software. the throttle is as equally detached as the steering. what benefit are we supposed to get by replacing a simple (feedback providing) throttle cable? isn't it to insulate the driver from the engine vibration? I think that's a step in the wrong direction.

4) I now also have a new appreciation for software. the tweaks that tuners are now doing in software were previously done manually. recalibrated EML directly translates to tightening the throttle cable and or changing the accelerator pedal to throttle blade ratio. what was previously done by advancing the ignition timing and replacing or rejetting carburetors is now done on a much more granular and calculated level in the ignition and fuel maps. the tuners altering the VANOS in software are replacing adjustable cam pulleys. the magic isn't what they do but how they do it. I have done or will do all of the above mentioned tweaks manually to my other sports car. it is much more responsive and provides much more feedback I do have to now agree with the post made in another thread which stated that the other car only feels like it's going faster due to the increased road feel. I'd say that this increase s the fun factor.

yeah, I know.... driving one's car barefoot with all car accessories off is kind of odd but I think it puts me more in tune with the car. one's feet are also very sensitive and thus using them simply puts one in more sensory contact with the car.

I do want to say this... the stock lighting system on these cars is outstanding!!! especially when it's on a dark twisty road. wow!!!

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated E

31st330i said:
what benefit are we supposed to get by replacing a simple (feedback providing) throttle cable? isn't it to insulate the driver from the engine vibration? I think that's a step in the wrong direction.
I don't think that is the intent, at least I sure as hell hope it isn't, although that certainly has been the effect. One of the benefits is that it does smooth out a jerky throttle input, like my wife's. In that situation it makes the ride much more comfortable. I would think that it also has emmision and milage benefits when someone with a jerky right foot is behind the wheel. People with a smooth and sensitive right foot get caught out, though, by a system that isn't designed for them. What would be ideal is for the user to be able to set the mapping themselves...or at least pick from several different programs (similar to the sport setting on the M3).

before I really rant about it, I'll just conclude with this: DBW isn't inherently bad by nature, but the E46 implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated EML

Speaking of driving barefoot, have you guys ever driven an E30? The first few times I did I had to take my shoes off! The pedals are actually too close for me to use the brakes properly (size 12 feet). I have since gotten used to hitting the middle pedal with my shoe at a 45* angle to flat though...:confused:

·
10,856 Posts
DBW coincided with the introduction of Valvetronic. I think the conclusion to be drawn is obvious...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated EML

Mystikal said:
Speaking of driving barefoot, have you guys ever driven an E30? The first few times I did I had to take my shoes off! The pedals are actually too close for me to use the brakes properly (size 12 feet). I have since gotten used to hitting the middle pedal with my shoe at a 45* angle to flat though...:confused:
I have once and did not notice this :dunno:

Anyway, I have driven a few times without shoes. I don't really like it that much. Tons of feel, I can feel every movement of the pedals perfectly. I think that I have more control with shoes on as they are larger and have flat surfaces, not to mention rubber (usually) soles. I have size 13s, btw. My driving shoes are very nice though, they transmit amost everything that barefoot does, but give a wider contact patch and more grip :bigpimp:

31st330i,

I agree that the steering on 2001s has been very disappointing, both retrofit and standard. I have never experience what you have in item 1 about the steering, though I am not familiar with your comparison. I have never done lots of quick transitions in a 330 though. I haven't really been bothered by the response of the DBW in E46s. Driving M5s in non-sport mode, I typically have had difficulty driving smoothly. The Dinan software did fix this problem in non-sport mode, but the sport mode was always crisp. The tip-in while in non-sport was overly soft, and I have not noticed this on E46s, which seem to be softer than the sport mode in M cars, but not bad.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated EML

nate328Ci said:
I agree that the steering on 2001s has been very disappointing, both retrofit and standard. I have never experience what you have in item 1 about the steering, though I am not familiar with your comparison. I have never done lots of quick transitions in a 330 though. I haven't really been bothered by the response of the DBW in E46s. Driving M5s in non-sport mode, I typically have had difficulty driving smoothly. The Dinan software did fix this problem in non-sport mode, but the sport mode was always crisp. The tip-in while in non-sport was overly soft, and I have not noticed this on E46s, which seem to be softer than the sport mode in M cars, but not bad.
Regardless, I just don't think standard E46's will ever rev as quickly as older performance cars. After driving an Integra a couple days back rev-matching every shift, I still struggle to consistently perform the same task in my car. "Blips" no longer exist in these cars. :dunno:

·
10,856 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated

Mystikal said:

Regardless, I just don't think standard E46's will ever rev as quickly as older performance cars. After driving an Integra a couple days back rev-matching every shift, I still struggle to consistently perform the same task in my car. "Blips" no longer exist in these cars. :dunno:
You just mash the throttle for a while. :p Blipping is FUN in a WRX, though. :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated

Mystikal said:

No, they don't rev that fast. But not too bad. There are several factors. The engine software is made taking fuel economy into account (BMW HAS to comply with CAFE), heavy flywheel, relatively heavy car, and LONG gearing compared to an Integra or E30.

edit: now drive a new BMW M car, you will be shocked how fast it revs :angel: The new Valvetronic 7s rev pretty quick too.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
TD said:
Nate truly reminds me of Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap when he kept insisting, "But these go to 11."
Nigel: Don't touch it! Don't touch it! No one...no one...no! Don't
touch it.
Marty: Well uh I wasn't...uh I wasn't gonna touch it...I was just pointing
at it...I....
Nigel: Well don't point, even.
Marty: Don't even point?
Nigel: No. It can't be played...never...I mean I....
Marty: Can I look at it?
Nigel: No. No you've seen enough of that one.
Marty: Don't look at it.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibra

nate328Ci said:
edit: now drive a new BMW M car, you will be shocked how fast it revs :angel: The new Valvetronic 7s rev pretty quick too.
you could have just as easily said that the new M cars and the new 7 goes to 11.

At least I think that's what TD was saying.

G

·

Nigel: Don't touch it! Don't touch it! No one...no one...no! Don't
touch it.
Marty: Well uh I wasn't...uh I wasn't gonna touch it...I was just pointing
at it...I....
Nigel: Well don't point, even.
Marty: Don't even point?
Nigel: No. It can't be played...never...I mean I....
Marty: Can I look at it?
Nigel: No. No you've seen enough of that one.
Marty: Don't look at it.
:lmao: :lmao:

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recal

you could have just as easily said that the new M cars and the new 7 goes to 11.

At least I think that's what TD was saying.
Nate DOES insist that BOTH the E46 M3 and E65 7-series go to 11.

Of course, I'd prefer to just make 10 louder.

Nate- "But these go to 11."

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibra

nate328Ci said:

No, they don't rev that fast. But not too bad. There are several factors. The engine software is made taking fuel economy into account (BMW HAS to comply with CAFE), heavy flywheel, relatively heavy car, and LONG gearing compared to an Integra or E30.
Right. So the mechanicals in the E46 just aren't made for the enthusiast driver that wants to have fun. Just some bait for TD there :thumbup:

BTW, the gearing in the E30 almost exactly the same as the 323. The Integra has no torque anyway, so the gears actually feel longer. :banghead:

·
600 Posts
Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated E

DBW isn't inherently bad by nature, but the E46 implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
Agreed. I don't have anything against DBW, just the DBW in my car.

Speaking of driving barefoot, have you guys ever driven an E30? The first few times I did I had to take my shoes off! The pedals are actually too close for me to use the brakes properly (size 12 feet).
They are close. I bump all the time and I have average size shoes.

"Blips" no longer exist in these cars.
I'm a habitual blipper (I think from motorcycles), and the lack of blippability drives me nuts.

No, they don't rev that fast. But not too bad.
Uhh, yeah it's pretty bad. Drive some other cars, any cars, and you'll see.

Paul Schafer - "Go ahead... kick my ass!"

kurt

G

·
Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated E

ride365 said:

Paul Schafer - "Go ahead... kick my ass!"
Er, don't you mean Marty Fuffkin? (What's scary is that I didn't look that up.)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: drove 330 bare foot & now it handles better - new appreciation for recalibrated E

ride365 said:

I'm a habitual blipper (I think from motorcycles), and the lack of blippability drives me nuts.

Uhh, yeah it's pretty bad. Drive some other cars, any cars, and you'll see.
I guess that I am just to acclimated to my SW/Intake car. I think it revs quickly and the M54s seem ok.

I have no problems bliping 330s. I did drive one on a track and missed 1 blip the whole weekend, and I am BAD at it :dunno:

·
600 Posts

nate328Ci said:

I guess that I am just to acclimated to my SW/Intake car. I think it revs quickly
Wait a sec... you drive a 328 w/SW and CAI and you're trying to tell me that my stock DBW throttle revs fine? :dunno:

I have no problems bliping 330s. I did drive one on a track and missed 1 blip the whole weekend, and I am BAD at it :dunno:
So let me get this straight... you (an admittedly "bad" blipper) drove one 330, and this is what your opinion is based on? :dunno:

When I said drive some other cars, that's not really what I meant. But I see your point... your car revs quickly, and you are happy with it.

kurt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.