BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dealer by me got in an 09 335xi coupe and it was a 6-speed... I am always sort of in the market for a car... so I decided to stop by and see it.

Drove it and Im unsure of how I like it. I have a z06 vette and anything and everything I drive after that feels unimpressive.

I still am considering one . although I would prefer to get an M ..i think that i need to get AWD

I may be changing job locations and have to drive 45 miles each way to work 5 days a week.

with that being said I am assuming that getting an AWD would be a wise choice as it is safe and will get me thru any unexpected or small snow fall amounts??

what is the most snow you have safely been thru in your X ?

· Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,447 Posts
what is the most snow you have safely been thru in your X ?
6" - 8" or so, fresh fallen and unplowed on Rt.495N a couple of years back. No problems at all, although I drive with snow tires (Blizzak WS-60s) in the winter.

· Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6" - 8" or so, fresh fallen and unplowed on Rt.495N a couple of years back. No problems at all, although I drive with snow tires (Blizzak WS-60s) in the winter.
thanks for the info ! it really sucks cause I want to get an M but I think I really need to get an X. too bad bmw wont make the M with an AWD option ! lol

· Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As long as its not too deep, dedicated snow tires are fine. I have a 335i ZSP with snows in the winter and no issues. I would rather get an M with snows if that is what you are after.
Yeah that could possibly be a good setup... I really just dont want to die by sliding off a highway because Im a dik and bought an m3 as a DD I live in NJ/NY so im NE but not so far NE so its hit or miss with the winters..could be terrible could be fine.

Also their is the financial aspect of it ...

I can get a 335xi preowned for like 30-34k The M's seem to take longer to depreciate (stay higher priced even with more mileage) I also feel weary about buying a pre-owned M as I feel it may have been beat on alot more than a 335...

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
you are more likely to go sliding off the highway in an awd with all seasons vs a rwd with snows.
ive had both... going back to RWD later this year with an F30. never had a problem with my 07 with snows.
the only car i had all seasons on was the S60R, AWD would get the car going fine, but stopping and turning was not the best when it was cold and snowy. i switched to dedicated rubber after 1 winter with that car.

AWD does nothing for stopping and turning in the snow. all seasons are a compromise. AWD or not, i run summers three seasons and snows for winter.

· Registered
4,167 Posts
We deal with 2 or 3 inches of snow with just the Conti all seasons. If it gets any deeper than that, we mount the Blizzaks. With the Blizzaks, the car is limited only by its 5.5 inch ground clearance.
You were measuring your wife's car. Or you don't know how to measure :)

OK, I'm kidding, but I would be very surprised if 335is actually has more than 4" in the front. I never measured it on mine (just ZSP), but it doesn't look more than 4".

· Registered
904 Posts
AWD does nothing for stopping and turning in the snow. all seasons are a compromise. AWD or not, i run summers three seasons and snows for winter.
FWD and AWD requires a different skill set in winter then RWD does. I will agree that stopping is a guess at best in both cases.

Turning responce is a matter of throttle control and the drive ratio of the front axle to rear axle. If the front drive ratio is higher then the rear ratio 100% : 0% (FWD) to 51% : 49% (AWD) under gentle acceleration the front drive will pull the car through the turn. If you lift off the throttle too quickly, it's just like stepping on the brakes, the front end will slow down while the back end will attempt to pass it unless there's a "coast" or freewheeling function built into the front drive assembly. Just like an 18 wheeler starting to jack knife, the way out is to accelerate to get the front end back in place. The hardest part is driving within your experience level. The only way to learn this skill set is to experience it either through practice or accident.

In deep snow (6+ inches), 4 wheel dedicated snows are best, BUT some all weather designs can match dedicated snows 95% of the time. I've managed 6 to 8" snow in a RWD Camaro with all weather tires. And yes, there is a difference between all SEASON and all WEATHER tread design. My wife's RAV4 with Goodyear AW tires and as needed electronic AWD has already got us home inspite of the 14" of snow on the road.

Given the choice, in bad weather (snow and rain) I'd take the AWD without a second guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.