BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Damn quick car! Still not fond of the exterior (boring) or some of the interior cheap plastics. Still it's a fast car! Makes my 330Ci feel slow. I can't imagine what the G35 coupe will be with close to 280hp and a 6spd. Rides very well, but a little more islated than I like. Maybe one with sports package will change that. Still for $30K base it's a lot of car! Infiniti hopes to dig into BMWs pockets with this car.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
I think it will sway wishy-washy buyers that don't really know what they are looking for, or those that equate sport with speed.

I doesn't have the same kind of refined design, but the mechcanicals are certainly equal in quality, except for a bit of cost cutting here and there.

I think that those who want a euro feeling car will not go with it, but for anyone else that can't tell the difference, it will look like a much better choice.

The salesman I talked to told me the auto sedan was 6.4 0-60, I can't even imagine the speed of the coupe with a manual. The CL-S and TL-S are dog meat to this kind of power. Not sure how well it handles at it's max however...

·
Early roadfly migrant
397 Posts
I also test drove the G35 earlier this week, and I must say that I am very impressed with the car. I test drove the non-sport, yet handled very well.

Pluses:
- Gobs of power everywhere. It felt quicker than a 330i manual, but it may not be.
- Very little body roll compared to the e46.
- Handled quite well, better than a non-sport e46, not quite like a sport e46.
- Very quick steering, quicker than my e46.
- Has a very "light" feel even though it's 3300+ lbs.
- Great price, packages, etc.

Negatives:
- Very light steering compared to my e46 (even though it was quick).
- Felt big, even though it felt light, on the backroads. It obviously is a bigger car than the e46.
- Typical Japanese light feeling pedals (brakes, accelerator).
- Auto-only.
- Foot activated parking brake.

One thing I found interesting is that even though this car accelerates really fast, it has extremely LONG gears. Therefore, as I was flooring it, the revs didn't seem to climb as fast as my modded 323 (though it is plenty faster than my 323). In 2nd gear, the car was doing 65 mph, with plenty more revs to go.
Overall, a great car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hi Sean

It seems to be test day here, eh?

Yup also tested the G35 today (and the Mini too).

I agree with basically what Cal said. And the BIG let down was the light steering. So, if anyone who *****ed about the light steering of the 2001 E46 will surely not like this car.

Cal said little body roll, but I think otherwise. I did not like the way the auto transmission shifted either. And the rear looks too much like the Avalon.

But it is a very nice car and will give sports premium car buyers another choice. It is certainly bigger than the E46.

It looks like Nissan used reverse engineering to check on our car. Even the brochure list similar packages like the 3 series.

:tsk:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Sean said:
Infiniti hopes to dig into BMWs pockets with this car.
Most definitely...

While the G35 does nothing for me, I bet the cost/benefit is real nice... Oh, well, I guess people will have a hard time justifying a 3er if BMW doesn't do something quickly (not talking about me).

Actually, come to think of it, even if BMW does do something, it's still going to be hard to beat that price tag... Although I'd think a nicely equipped G35 costs ~35-36K, right?

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I test drove the G35 today as well and really wanted to love it. All I can say is I came away a little uninspired to even go and test drive the G35 coupe when it comes out.

It just wasn't replacement for our 3er . . . I do think that it will be an excellent alternative for the buyer who wants a sports sedan and has never owned a 3 series because they will not feel the same way we do.

The reason why is, we (the 3 series owners) like a certain feel that only the german cars have. It's like a special tightness (or maybe solidness is the word) that the german cars feel.

The G35 is very fast (more so then I thought it would be) but when I was driving and hitting the pedal aggressively (not flooring it) and the car wasn't downshifting, so I asked the salesman if there was a sport mode and he started showing me the steptronic type shifting, so basically this car does not act as responsive as I like, my 330 always downshifts perfectly and is in tune with my right foot.

Also, I tried self-shifting the G35 and the shift lever is so awkwardly placed, it doesn't fit the hand well at all. The center console is too high and the shifter is too far back (towards the rear seat) to be comfortable. I can't imagine how they are going to place a Manual transmission shifter comfortably in this car.

The seats I found very comfortable, I like the looks of the car and I will admire the car as I see them on the road but it's not gonna be in my driveway in the future.

BTW, I also went and checked out the Lexus IS300 which I haven't been in for quite a while and I am sad to say that the Interior is even worse then I remember . . . It is so freakin chinzy (sp?) it's actually sad. I didn't even want to test drive the Manual which is something I was looking forward to for the longest time.

It's a shame because I really love the Japanese cars for there excellent quality and as a car for the wife, they would be great but for me . . . I'll stick with the BMW . . .

·
Early roadfly migrant
397 Posts
Re: Hi Sean

DaveN323i said:
It seems to be test day here, eh?

Yup also tested the G35 today (and the Mini too).

I agree with basically what Cal said. And the BIG let down was the light steering. So, if anyone who *****ed about the light steering of the 2001 E46 will surely not like this car.

Cal said little body roll, but I think otherwise. I did not like the way the auto transmission shifted either. And the rear looks too much like the Avalon.

But it is a very nice car and will give sports premium car buyers another choice. It is certainly bigger than the E46.

It looks like Nissan used reverse engineering to check on our car. Even the brochure list similar packages like the 3 series.

:tsk:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Sport package, premium package, weather package, Upgraded BOSE, etc.

Regarding body roll, maybe I didn't push it as hard as you did. However, there is no question that this car will have less body roll than a non-sport 3 series. No doubt about that. Maybe not better than a 3 series with sport suspension.

I didn't notice the transmission shifting. I put it into manual shift the whole time because I want to get the most out of the motor to see how fast it was.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Saw one on the street for the first time today

It was dark blue, similar to my 325i Orient Blue. I found it very attractive, went around the block for a second look. (It was parked idling). I can't speak to the power or road feel but it will definetly get people into the showroom, especially first time near-luxury sedan buyers. The proportions are actually really well done. The rear lights don't look like a gumball machine. While I think the 1999-2001 325i is more attractive, I would be hard pressed to pick a winner if I put it up against the 2002 re-designed front without the Sport Package.

Now, I'm just speaking of the appearance of the car here because I think that it will, along with the impressive spec sheet, get potential 3 buyers into the Infinity showroom. I do think that there are many "new" cars that have similar looks (i.e. the Lexus ES300, the Cadillac CTS) and that will make the "newness" of the G35 appearance fade quickly as these all will tend to blend together. However, if Mr. Bangle continues with his attempt to land a job with Pontiac, then...

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I saw the G35 and G35 coupe for the first time at the NY auto show- and thought they looked really good in person. A bit bland-- but they definitely loook better than any of their japanese contemporaries- and better than the 2002 3 series. Unfortunately, the interior design and quality falls a bit short and that's where you'll be spending most of your time. Alex- I had the same thought about the IS- I hadn't been near on for a while- so I sat in one at the autoshow and was disgusted by the quality of the interior. The auto show is kind of a good way to judge the sturdiness of interiors because so many people jump in and out and try to pull of any knob or switch they can. The IS and G35 looked a bit more ragged than the 3 series or Audi a4 (and had about the same crowd of people waiting to get in). The quality of the Jaguar X type is truly horrendous. I sat in the back seat-- the cushion had all the support of a tired NY city taxi-- it just collapsed under any weight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
agreeing with many of your thoughts

The G35 will appeal to Honda and Maxima owners who are looking to take that next financial and quality step up.

But if you want to take two steps up.. the BMW330 is the only way to go.

I liked the drive of the G35, but the interior was "lacking" something, as somebody here said I looked cheap and out of proportian, perhaps after a few generations it will be better refined, Infiniti has it's future at stake on this and the Coupe

The Design Philosiphies (?) of German car makers seem to differ greatly from the Japanese. My somewhat biased opinion is that the Germans want to design the best car no matter what the price, the Japanese want to design the best car given a certain price.

After driving the G35, I drove a 330i and loved it and bought one last thursday... Sure it does not have as many features as the G35 but it has everything I wanted. Not a bunch of extras that I will never use, but had to pay for.

I think it will be fun to see how the Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Road & Track and other Car mags review the two side by side...
(I know the BMW will win, but it will still be fun).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.