BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me please! (06 530i)
So today I was headed to a girls house and she didn***8217;t warn me that there was a foot+ deep puddle going there, didn***8217;t look deep so I drove thru. And soon as the water reached my mid tire my car shut off. After a few times trying to start it back up and getting out of the ***8220;puddle***8221; I had a lot a white smoke coming from the exhaust (water I***8217;m guessing/steam). So drove there with no problems and headed home later. Got home to change for work, left for work and I was running late so I went to sport mode and kinda went fast out on the Main Street. Well as soon as I hit 4K rpms the car lost some power, came to a stop sign and the engine started to act funny, kinda like not letting a clutch off a moto correctly (chug or sputter). Driving to work coming to a stop and starting up was the same way CEL came on.
However, when I turned the car off and on the CEL went away and drove fine if I kept it under 4K.
Just wondering what kinda of damage the water did, what I should look for, how serious could this be.
Any help is great and I appreciate it 100% just worried how bad this could be.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Open air filter box and see if you sucked up any water, if so replace air filter and change oil and filter, read and clear any faultcodes.
Have a good look under car at exhaust and cat. If all looks ok and no exhaust leaks go for a drive again.
Good luck

·
Registered
369 Posts
Start from square one. What error code(s) are you seeing?
Normally you can give it a day or 2 in the sun and dry things out but you should check all your low points like trunk, hood drains, etc, to ensure you aren't getting any important modules soaked.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Open air filter box and see if you sucked up any water, if so replace air filter and change oil and filter, read and clear any faultcodes.
Have a good look under car at exhaust and cat. If all looks ok and no exhaust leaks go for a drive again.
Good luck
+1

Seems like you did get water into the air box and filter is not working optimally. That could be the reason why it struggles at higher RPM when the engine needs more air. If the filter is wet there is a chance that some water got into the engine. I would do what cmyachtie recommends.

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,947 Posts
My boss drove through a similar puddle last fall in his F30. His engine hydrolocked and he was lucky enough to get bmw to cover half the cost.

One bad thing about the F series is the lack of a way to get it out of park without an engine... His car was in that puddle for a day or two.

Point is, you're relatively lucky. It could have been worse.

·
Registered
995 Posts
My boss drove through a similar puddle last fall in his F30. His engine hydrolocked and he was lucky enough to get bmw to cover half the cost.

One bad thing about the F series is the lack of a way to get it out of park without an engine... His car was in that puddle for a day or two.

Point is, you're relatively lucky. It could have been worse.
I hydro locked a Chrysler long time ago. Also drove into a puddle on a dark street at night at 60 km/h. Couldn't see the puddle until I was literally driving into it. Hydro locked the engine. Pushed it out of the puddle. Had to drain oil. Luckily the engine didn't suffer damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts