BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DSC/traction control light always on

2138 Views 26 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Chedley
I have a North American 2000 BMW 528iA with the sport package. Normally I’m just a lurker who figures everything out by reading old threads, but this issue has left me scratching my head so I had to make a post. I recently had the ABS module rebuilt, and after putting the original wheel speed sensors back on (and throwing the Amazon ones in the trash) I fixed the “ABS light trifecta” and all the other associated problems. With that being said, my DSC/traction control light is still constantly on. It is the only light on the dash. I am getting error code 52 “rotation-rate sensor, line” from the ABS module. (I am using a BMW specific scanner and adapter to the 20-pin connector in the engine bay) I believe it is talking about the YAW sensor under one of the front seats (I cannot get a straight answer on the location). I have done the steering angle reset and when reading live data, all is good. I’m fairly certain it’s not the steering angle sensor. The manuals all say code 52 is for a wheel speed sensor, which I know is not my problem since the ABS still works. It seems that the YAW sensor location can very widely depending on the year, can anyone tell me where it is on my car and if that might be my issue?
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
i think the SAS isnt in question anymore in this
I have an update. Sadly, the car was involved in a minor fender bender, an idiot decided to change lanes into me. Thanks to insurance deeming it “uneconomical to fix” and giving me a healthy pay out while also being able to keep the car, I have been busy repairing it myself and the car is now free to me plus about a thousand dollars in my pocket.
Today I got around to removing the drivers seat to inspect the sensor. Visually, it looks fine. After now verifying what version of sensor I have, I now know it is the later DSC III and my sensor is the combination sensor that reads both acceleration, and rotation. (As opposed to previous models having two separate sensors) I am not getting a code for the acceleration sensor, only the rotation rate. When I unplug the sensor, I do get the error code for the transverse (or acceleration) sensor. This is making me think the sensor is only half bad. Half bad is still bad.
At least this has given me an opportunity to throughly clean my carpets and the coffee stains in between the seat and center console.
So, did you get hold of INPA to read the ABS/DSC module error codes ? If so, which error codes are popping out of the ABS or DSC module ??
As to the SAS -steering angle sensor- it rarely goes bad, But often, it needs recalibration. And yes, you will need INPA's Tool32 to recalibrate it. That manual method of turning/locking wheels never worked, to my knowledge.
I went ahead and replaced the sensor under the seat because it was only $30. Did not fix the issue sadly. I have no way of getting ahold of an INPA scanner unless I go to a indy shop. Getting ready to sell the car very shortly and this is the only thing wrong. Would like to sell it with no lights on the dash, but might just give up. I bought a 1987 Porsche 944S so I need to get rid of a car.
So, did you get hold of INPA to read the ABS/DSC module error codes ? If so, which error codes are popping out of the ABS or DSC module ??
As to the SAS -steering angle sensor- it rarely goes bad, But often, it needs recalibration. And yes, you will need INPA's Tool32 to recalibrate it. That manual method of turning/locking wheels never worked, to my knowledge.
Then replacing the SAS sensor under the seat was a waste of time and money. A new sas sensor MUST be recalibrated to work.
You could have used those $30 to buy an inpa k+dcan cable, then download and install the free INPA software, and fix your problem like a pro indy.
The sensor I replaced was not the SAS. I replaced the one under the seat. SAS is in the steering column.
Then replacing the SAS sensor under the seat was a waste of time and money. A new sas sensor MUST be recalibrated to work.
You could have used those $30 to buy an inpa k+dcan cable, then download and install the free INPA software, and fix your problem like a pro indy.
Aha...that sensor under the driver seat is the yaw sensor. It activates the DSC if the car starts yawing like a drunken sailor...typically in an accident, or to avoid a crash. It rarely goes bad though.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts