Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been two or three times when my car has practically stopped after my shifting into a higher gear spiritedly. At first, I thought "man, I suck at this whole manual thing. 18 years down the drain." But after the second time, I suspected DSC. So today I was rounding a corner where I remembered it happening, and I tried to shift in a similar manner and sho 'nuf, it bogged like crazy and the light went on. I had not seen the light the first 2 times, but I was looking specifically at the dash when the car stumbled due to my suspicions. Wow. I didn't really think I was driving so hard that DSC needed to kick in. I thought it would have taken more to make it kick in so hard. Ouch.

At least I know it wasn't me now!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
You mad man you:bigpimp:

Disengage the DSC and have some fun:p ;)

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I will :D

But I'm still stymied as to why it kicked in then. I've driven harder than that before and it hasn't tried to make me fly through the windshield then.

:dunno:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I'm still in the break-in period (less than 1200 miles) . . .

so I can only get into it so much. I chirped the tires taking off at a corner one time and the stupid DSC light came on. I was hardly doing anything. I guess the fact the car was cornering and it sensed some wheel spinning engaged it. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I've seen DSC kick in a few times when there was no apparent reason to and then I've seen it go on when I felt the wheel slip. I suspect it's that good and it's detecting wheel slip before you even feel it. Maybe some light gravel, oil, or an overexhuberant right foot. ;)

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must have been my foot then, because the road was clean.

Oh well, I know where the off switch is. :eeps:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Were you trying to shift in a middle of a turn, before or after? DSC is pretty sensitive and if you're attempting a shift in the middle of a turn (a big, BIG NO-NO) the weight shifting may have been drastic enough to either throw one of the wheels into a spin, and DSC corrected it rapidly, or the yaw sensor may have been thrown off by the sudden change in center of gravity.

If you're trying to shift before or after the turn, then you're probably just a little heavy on the right foot and the DSC being overly sensitive.

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was just after a turn. I figured that might have something to do with it. I don't think the car was still rolling though, but perhaps it was still enough to trip it.

I have had it happen on a straight takeoff though. Just once.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Imola Ed said:
It was just after a turn. I figured that might have something to do with it. I don't think the car was still rolling though, but perhaps it was still enough to trip it.

I have had it happen on a straight takeoff though. Just once.
DSC on the M3 seems to be excessively active. When I was driving home with my buddy's M3 from Vegas last month, it was CONSTANTLY kicking in...I got so frustrated I turned it off. Everytime I changed lane and braked to slowdown as I changed lane, I can feel DSC intervening although the lights never came on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts