Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you hit the DSC button the first time, what does that do? Then when you hold it down for three seconds, what does that do?

I've already tried to deceipher what's in the owners manual, but it didn't really make sense to me.

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
munk330ci said:
When you hit the DSC button the first time, what does that do? Then when you hold it down for three seconds, what does that do?

I've already tried to deceipher what's in the owners manual, but it didn't really make sense to me.
The first time shuts off traction control, the second shuts off Dynamic brake control (another traction control). It's all in your manual.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Dsc?

Josh (PA) said:

The first time shuts off traction control, the second shuts off Dynamic brake control (another traction control). It's all in your manual.
That is what the manual says.

If I grab second hard, the power is really cut for a moment. I figured that was the DSC (traction control). So I turned it off (hitting the button briefly). Same thing happened. When I hit second hard, the engine power really cut down for a moment. That's what prompted the question. Is this just the engine bogging down? I wouldn't expect that. After reading the manual it seemed logical that hitting hte button the first time would solve this???

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
In layman's terms...

When you hit the first time (traction control off), your rear wheels are allowed to spin, as long as they spin at the same rate. In practice you get a little spin when lauching the car, but nothing dramatic, as the engine is shutdown as soon as one wheel starts to spin faster than the other.
When you hit the second time (DBC off), your wheels are allowed to spin freely, for as long as your engine can afford it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm happy to say I've only turned it off once during break-in and didn't spin the tires because I came back to my senses and put the button right back on. Why spend 200 bucks a tire when you don't have too :O) I don't have a sponser paying for my tires.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
I'm happy to say I've only turned it off once during break-in and didn't spin the tires because I came back to my senses and put the button right back on. Why spend 200 bucks a tire when you don't have too :O) I don't have a sponser paying for my tires.
:tsk: Have some fun with your car! Just watch out on tight 2nd gear turns in the rain...:banghead:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I felt 2nd making a right turn today going across the river holy crap thoses tires grip DSC was barking at me like no tomorrow :O)
Good thing its there to keep my in line ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
Turn off BIG BROTHER !!!!

"There is no better way to enjoy a long sweeping onramp than throttle steering through the turn.:thumbup: "

First, make sure to get some seat time at a few tracks. ;)

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Rufus330Ci said:
Remember what the dealer said 4500 and 100mph till 1250 :O)

After that all hell is going to break lose.
Right:tsk:

We will see if you cut 'er loose:yikes: I will be glad to show you how :angel: :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm at 950 miles :rolleyes: I got one week to put on 300 miles :tsk:

Scott is still debating wether to bring his Transam or not on this Covered Bridge Tour. Maybe I should just let him hang with his brother and I in my car so he's not by himself, but the disadvantage is worst mileage and lost power ;O)

I guess we'll find out next weekend what he decides to do.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I did a 6500rmp side step in my car 10 minutes after I drove it off the lot. The car only had 17mls on it at the time - the car now has 6000mls and I havn't had one thing go wrong w/ it yet. I will be replacing my rear tires before I hit 10,000 miles I'm sure.

·
In Mod Heaven
2,763 Posts
thaydith said:
I did a 6500rmp side step in my car 10 minutes after I drove it off the lot. The car only had 17mls on it at the time - the car now had 6000mls and I havn't had one thing go wrong w/ it yet. I will be replacing my rear tires before I hit 10,000 miles I'm sure.
Thaydith -

6k miles already! I thought I was putting on heavy mileage - 5,300 miles in same time frame (14 weeks). :thumbup:

My tires won't last that long either. At least a winter set will help these tires last a little longer than those using them 12 months a year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ack said:

Thaydith -

6k miles already! I thought I was putting on heavy mileage - 5,300 miles in same time frame (14 weeks). :thumbup:

My tires won't last that long either. At least a winter set will help these tires last a little longer than those using them 12 months a year.
I know I'm pissed about how many miles I have but I went on a couple trips this summer and I couldn't resist taking it (over my Fiance's RAV4). Are you really going to put on winters? I'm not sure if I am - they make the car look so shitty for 2 1/2 months!!!

·
5,820 Posts
thaydith said:

I know I'm pissed about how many miles I have but I went on a couple trips this summer and I couldn't resist taking it (over my Fiance's RAV4). Are you really going to put on winters? I'm not sure if I am - they make the car look so shitty for 2 1/2 months!!!
It'll look shittier when you're standing still and everyone else is going by you in winter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
johnlew said:

It'll look shittier when you're standing still and everyone else is going by you in winter.
HAHAHAH :lmao:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
johnlew said:

Just picture it stuck on the side of the road. Then the plows and spreader trucks come by...

No...not too much of a price to pay for keeping it from looking shitty for 2 1/2 months.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

Why compromise... get M68s for your winters too :D I did! :p

Hey Al ............

Since you don't drive your car anymore, care to part with one of your 2 extras sets:dunno:

:bigpimp:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts