Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you paying for your DSL Internet access ? Just trying to make a comparo with our prices.

I'm paying $30 for DSL + $ 10 Line fee = $ 40 Total /month

·
5,820 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
What are you paying for your DSL Internet access ? Just trying to make a comparo with our prices.

I'm paying $30 for DSL + $ 10 Line fee = $ 40 Total /month
$40/mo for cable access, as a cable tv customer too. $90/mo for tv and internet combined.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
I had DSL for about 4 days in 1999. Not counting the billing screw-ups, the monthly bill was $50 for 1.5Mbps/128Kbps service. I checked the SBC Pacific site and the monthly charge hasn't changed for that level of service. I have had a cable modem (2+Mbps/128Kbps) since 1998 and the monthly bill for that is $46.

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: DSL costs in the USA

johnlew said:

$40/mo for cable access, as a cable tv customer too. $90/mo for tv and internet combined.
Exactly the same here.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DSL costs in the USA

TD said:

Exactly the same here.
I thought you didn't watch TV:confused:

My combined bill is $107 (39.95 internet, 5 for modem) but I have HBO, etc. too:)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
In 1974, I remember a teacher telling us "one day, we'll all be paying for TV thru this thing called "Cable", its very popular in Utah..." We all laughed at him.."Pay for TV shows? How silly!"

Always wondered if this teacher ever invested in his beliefs?

T

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: DSL costs in the USA

PM 325xiT said:

I thought you didn't watch TV:confused:

My combined bill is $107 (39.95 internet, 5 for modem) but I have HBO, etc. too:)
I, no joke, have seriously thought of dropping the TV part. I just pay it even though it's never on. However, this time of year, it's actually on more often than the rest of the year as I do watch pro football (and often watch the Sunday night cable-only games). Otherwise, I fully realize I could save $50/mo easily as it really is never on.

The only other problem is that I cannot have an external antenna on our house and I do like the option of catching the news or weather as needed.

·
5,820 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DSL costs in the USA

TD said:

The only other problem is that I cannot have an external antenna on our house and I do like the option of catching the news or weather as needed.
You can put an antenna in the attic.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
$29 a month for ADSL (768/128) service on my phone line, but I do not think that low of a price is offered to the public from my service provider.

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
I pay $35/mo for Cable Modem..... total cable bill is about $80. All the cable channels, no premium channels like HBO, etc....

$80 is such a ripoff to me because the picture quality just sucks.
:rolleyes:

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
Agent86 said:

PICTURE QUALITY is the reason I went with DirecTV, because the normal cable signal doesn't do my 36" Sony Vega any justice!!!!
Hey! 36" WEGA? me too... heh... :thumbup:

I considered going DirectTV too but the stupid association I live in won't let us put dishes on the dang roof because it's a so called "common-area" :rolleyes: :tsk:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
$50.09/mo cablemodem + TV :eeps:

I want Dish/BEV/DTV too, especially if there's some decent HD programming, but its tough to beat that $50.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
It used to be free...My old company, Sameday, paid for DSL services at home. When I got laid off, they forgot to turn off the service for 6+ months and when they FINALLY went under, they just stopped paying the bills and ultimately one day I tried to log on and nothing happened. :dunno:

Now I'm paying $40 a month on top of the monthly phone bills, which amounts to something in the neighborhood of $60-$65 a month total.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Hey Hack,
The wife and I did alittle research based on our long distance calls per month, services, versus doing away with our long distance carrier and using a cell phone plan with 400 min. per month long distance. Turned out we were paying an avg. of $136 month for all services via the phone company (and long distance carrier), and the same cell phone plan was $79 a month. So, we've done away with our telephone (using it for incoming calls only now) and we're saving roughly $25 a month ($79 for 2 cell phones, plus 2 phone lines is $111 a month vs. $136 for regular phone service and long distance carrier)

Not only that, but we each got a $150 phone for $25 a piece. Thats the ONLY reason I got a cell phone, it was made financial sense.
Anyway, back on topic...

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: DSL costs in the USA

Dave 330i said:

DSL? what's that? a rich community like mine does not have DSL, can you imagine that? I'm trying to get cable modem, and Aldephia said they have to come out to the house to check a few things. Took next door neighbor 2 months to get cable modem with his normal cable TV. Now, you see why I like work so much? T1 is the way to go. And, when I get to work at 6am in the morning, it's lighten speed. I have a phone line dedicated to AOL $22/mo+$20 phone line, slow and slower, at 28-32kb/sec Everyone else in the family has cell phones.
Dave, you have the satellites instead, don't you ? :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Agent86 said:

Is it a condo or attached unit area that you live in?? The reason I ask is that I am perplexed as to why they would call it a "common-area".

I live in a community with a very stringent HOA board. Although they do not like the satellite dishes, by law (Nevada law) there is NOTHING they can do about them. Someone a while back challenged their position on them, and they had to amend the CC&R's to state that if you do put one up, try to make it as inconspicous as possible.

You might want to check with the laws in your state.

P.S. I love the WEGA!!!! The picture quality is amazing when I saw it for the first time at Circuit City. When I took it home, and plugged in my traditional cable to it, I was on the phone with DirecTV about 5 minutes later because I wanted it to look how it did at the store! :D
Same here. Cable looks like crap on my Wega. I wish I could switch to satellite but I live in an apartament complex and it is absolutely verbotten. Can't wait to move to a house. Also, I am not sure how it is in Germany but here there are tons of different taxes, surchages, fees, funds etc on every bill so the advertised amount always ends up being something else than what you actually pay. So you have to calculate that in as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts