Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kaz said:
I have mudflaps, which I like, and a dual-convex outside mirror lens, which I can no longer live without.

I'm slowly looking through the ETK for more goodies, and am also working on getting a UK accessories catalog. :D

is the mirror the one with the two views in 1 reflection or whatever? this is for driver's mirror or both? i know a few pple ordered this from the days of org. could someone post some pics of it? a review? part number for sedan. i thought about it back then, but i had no money then saving for the bmw.... if it removes blind spots i'd be down....

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Some people have said its standard on euro cars. I needed one for the drivers side, since the stock mirror wouldn't tilt out far enough to suit me. There's a line about 1/4 of the way in from the outer edge where the degree of convexness(??) becomes greater. Its not like those stick-on convex circle things, so you don't see objects twice. When the object gets to the outer section of the lens, it just looks more fisheyed. Its hard to describe. I actually tried this in a friends' car first to see if I really wanted it. It takes a little getting used to, especially on the left where you'd be used to a flat mirror.

Sedans use 1 part for both sides. Coupes have 2 PNs. I think Alee has one as well.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Hmm...is this the same one that Alee replaced a while back too? I am driving a euro spec 520i and love the covexity too. Takes a bit getting used to, but definitely a great investment. Looking up my ETK, it's available to euro spec E46ers and US spec 325ix. Here is the part number: 51 16 8 250 438. :)

eugeneDC/TX said:

is the mirror the one with the two views in 1 reflection or whatever? this is for driver's mirror or both? i know a few pple ordered this from the days of org. could someone post some pics of it? a review? part number for sedan. i thought about it back then, but i had no money then saving for the bmw.... if it removes blind spots i'd be down....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
do a search on this board, I know Alee posted some excellent pictures, with part numbers.

Opps vince just beat me to it

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I had one of those Japanese aftermarket things in my old car. It wasn't a convex one, but it was tinted and extra wide. Woulda put it in this one if it weren't for the fact that I got autodim (which I love). But I'm with Dave. I drive with my mirrors a whole lot (so Hagus/M mirrors are out), so it makes sense to me that mirrors need to get better, especially with many cars nowadays that seem to have bigger and bigger blind spots (thank goodness the wagon isn't one of em).

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Al, you have a pic of how the image looks like when you're using it? That might be helpful for people, since its so hard to describe.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Re: Re: dual convex outside mirror lens

VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Looking up my ETK, it's available to euro spec E46ers and US spec 325ix. Here is the part number: 51 16 8 250 438. :)

i'm assuming that 325ix will parts will fit on my 325i? thanks. generic idea about price? and alee, kaz, etc, is the install hard? thanks

also, right now i have my mirror set (drivers) so i cant see the side of my car to compensate for blind spots. would this mirror be set the same or differently to help the blind spot? LAST question, although it's not the MOST important, is the mirror blue tinted like my stock ones? i would imagine they are since they are bmw mirrors

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I forget what I paid from Circle. I know my friend with a E30M3 was amazed at how cheap it was compared to one for his car.
Install is easy (Alee did it!). Move lens all the way out. Pry lens out. Don't pull it off too quickly as you need to disconnect the heating wires too. Installation is the reverse of removal. :D

I had the stock mirror set like you, and it wasn't enough. This fixed that. In fact, its set a little bit in, since all the way out, it was shwing too much of the mirror housing (!!). I can now see everything from the edge of the mirror housing to the door handles.

And yes, its the stock color.

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Driver's side is more than sufficient... the passenger mirror is already convex.

Here are 2 not so great pics of it in action:

Installation was a piece of cake.

Put the mirror as low as it will go...

Gently pry it off and release the 2 heat wires...

Here's what it looks like off...

Reverse the steps and make sure you get all the clips for the mirror...

Very easy.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I thought about getting 2, but decided just the drivers side was enough to get the coverage I needed.

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
I bought and installed this last week.

With the BMWCCA discount, the glass (for sedan) was about $55 shipped.

Looks GREAT too!

:thumb:

- Cowboy

NOTE: for sedan installs, you're going to need to tilt the mirror all the way FORWARD (not backward like the coupe) because of the different shape of the mirror housing. You'll see the clip underneath.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cowboy said:
I bought and installed this last week.

With the BMWCCA discount, the glass (for sedan) was about $55 shipped.

Looks GREAT too!

:thumb:

- Cowboy

NOTE: for sedan installs, you're going to need to tilt the mirror all the way FORWARD (not backward like the coupe) because of the different shape of the mirror housing. You'll see the clip underneath.
cowboy -

where did you get yours from? i havent checked prices yet, but i'm going to try the standards (circle, pacific, cutter)....

·
super-sexy
247 Posts
I ordered it from a local dealer (Foreign Motors West, Natick MA)

They have an ad in the Boston Bimmer BMWCCA mag for a 20% discount on parts that seemed good, so I ordered it from them!

- Cowboy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts