BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 325 coupe, (no e, es, i, is badge)

I just bought a new clutch for it when the it went out recently. I pulled the Tranny to find that the factory flywheel was a dual mass, and of course the clutch kit i purchased was for a single. After finding out that the Dual Mass type flywheels cannot be resurfaced i ordered a used single mass flywheel from Bavarian Auto Recycling in CA, Had it machined at a local shop, installed the flywheel with new 28mm bolts, new clutch along with several other wearable parts that are standard in a clutch job. Once i got it all back together i go to turn the key and it cranks strong, the starter turns the flywheel like normal with no unusual sounds, but it wont kick over.

I know that there are two different single mass flywheel types, one that has a weird tooth-like shaped contour on the pressure plate surface, where as the one that i bought has a completely smooth pressure place mounting surface.

The car actually did turn over and sort-of idle once or twice but almost as if only running on one or two cylinders with zero throttle response, after a few seconds of that i killed it.

I pulled the coil wire from the distributor and cranked it over again and there was no spark coming from the coil. This makes me look to the two Flywheel Sensors.

My first assumption is that the flywheel sensors might be different for cars with a dual mass flywheel vs those without?? Does anyone agree?

Has anyone Swapped the dual mass for a single and experienced a problem like this? Did i overlook something?

Thank you in advance for your help guys!

Anthony

·
e30 project
207 Posts
i would agree with you check the crank position censor they might be diffrent

·
Registered
174 Posts
as well as them possibly being different, senors can just quit working at any given time. if you are not getting power from the source a good assumption would be to repair or replace the source. good luck with the problem and keep up upto date with the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is what i have discovered;
After talking to Bavarian Recycling i found out that there are 2 different single mass flywheels offered on the e30. One came factory on the 84-86 and the other from 88 and on. The newer flywheel does not have "timing tabs" and the I cars that came factory with this tabless flywheel do NOT have the flywheel sensors on the bell housing.

The last thing i will check is
a - rotate the engine to see if i can spot any tabs or markings on the outter surface of the flywheel (if i do find a tab on there then i will assume that the flywheel sensor is bad)
b - (Worst Case) pull the transmission out again and remove the flywheel to exchange it for the earlier single mass that DOES have the timing tabs.

Unfortunately all signs are pointing to option B :( which would really blow! But everyone tells me that pulling the transmission is much easier the second time around...

·
Registered
174 Posts
it will be easier due to fact you already know what has to be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the right flywheel

I have the same problem . A dual mass flywheel with the TDC pick up on the flywheel. I would like to buy a light weight flywheel but haven't found one. I would settle for a standerd weight flywheel but haven't found one of these ether any help out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts