BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is how it goes, i bought a 1997 328ic with the sport package only 82K on it. I picked it up on friday the 25th and within 3 days the whole thing is just completely trashed. First of all it started with missing auxiliary fan on the water pump and that led to the expansion tank bursting and was leaking coolant that led to the engine overheating while the white smoke came out of my tailpipes which led to a blown head gasket! i now have learned that the engine is completely unrepairable. let me remind you that the car is only 4 days old any suggestions????

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
:confused:

How did you not notice this stuff before you bought it?

·
blank
1,614 Posts
um....wow. well first off, where did you buy this car from and why didnt you get anything checked out before you bought it? how much did you pay for it? are you willing to drop a few grand on a new engine?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If he is a private seller, which I presume he is, then you may not have much to go on so you may have to resort to steps 1 and 2.
However, if you bought it from a dealer then there has to to be a consumer affairs office or similar where you can get the right advice to get your money back or get the repairs done. There should also be a warranty.
Of cousre, steps 1 and 2 could still apply which would be good for your psyche.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Call a pro-bono lawyer and ask them what can be done. Have all your paperwork ready.

Worst he can do is say, "Can't do **** chief"

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
WTF are with some of the replies? This is all the buyer's (poster's) fault. As soon as the temp started increasing you should have stopped an had it towed. Sorry, but its not the seller's problem. You bought the car "as is", and in my contracts I always additionally say "with no warranty, expressed or implied, written or verbal". It is fully the buyer's responsibility to have the car checked out, with his own money, before he buys. Once you sign papers, it could fall apart in the driveway and you're screwed.

Either way, its not even the seller's fault. You neglected proper care and maintenance. To blow the HG, you have to drive on it hot for a while. To get to the new engine point, you would have had to severely pit the block, which means you drove on it for a long while hot. Your fault, your stupidity, lesson learned. You have no one to blame but yourself.

·
World Traveller Forever
1,652 Posts
Yes..

I agree with the above poster.
You should have had someone who knows about cars check that car out before you bought it.
If I only would have had someone with experience in bmw's and really knows the cars along with me on my first purchase of a previously owned vehicle when say I was.....16 , I think I would have saved myself thousands of $$$$.
Always have a friend that REALLY knows cars check out the car BEFORE you buy.
If the car fails,,, then at least you can blame him and not feel as bad. heh heh heh.
( I wish I knew then what I know now. ):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
WTF are with some of the replies? This is all the buyer's (poster's) fault. As soon as the temp started increasing you should have stopped an had it towed. Sorry, but its not the seller's problem. You bought the car "as is", and in my contracts I always additionally say "with no warranty, expressed or implied, written or verbal". It is fully the buyer's responsibility to have the car checked out, with his own money, before he buys. Once you sign papers, it could fall apart in the driveway and you're screwed.

Either way, its not even the seller's fault. You neglected proper care and maintenance. To blow the HG, you have to drive on it hot fow a while. To ge to the new engine point, you would have had to severely pit the block, which means you drove on it for a long while hot. Your fault, your stupidity, lesson learned. You have no one to blame but yourself.
+37846234876

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm going to sound like a jackass to say this, but this is what happens when n00bs drive BMWs, they need to stick with Hondas and they will have no problems.

·
Monacoblau mit beige
2,203 Posts
When you buy an E36, the first thing you should check is the facking cooling system!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I'm starting to think this is a troll. The thread just seems to far fetched. I mean, missing fan, blown expansion tank, then it overheats and blows a head gasket, all within 4 days. I find this all hard to believe.

And why would the engine be unrepairable? What does that mean?

·
Registered
797 Posts
probably means he drove it till it seized? my guess ... and well id say that happens with other cars too ... afterall i do take it that even honda engines will die if you drive it without a rad fan and keep driving it while overheated for an extended period of time.
and no reason why noobs shouldnt drive bmws ... afterall if you dont drive or get one youll be a noob forever aye? get it ... make a few mistakes along the way and learn from it and try not to doit it again... esp the expensive mistakes

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
So here is how it goes, i bought a 1997 328ic with the sport package only 82K on it. I picked it up on friday the 25th and within 3 days the whole thing is just completely trashed. First of all it started with missing auxiliary fan on the water pump and that led to the expansion tank bursting and was leaking coolant that led to the engine overheating while the white smoke came out of my tailpipes which led to a blown head gasket! i now have learned that the engine is completely unrepairable. let me remind you that the car is only 4 days old any suggestions????
1. Should of had a mechanic look over the car prior to purchase.

2. Only 82,000 miles?

3. Only 4 days old? Your car is 11 years old!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm starting to think this is a troll. The thread just seems to far fetched. I mean, missing fan, blown expansion tank, then it overheats and blows a head gasket, all within 4 days. I find this all hard to believe.

And why would the engine be unrepairable? What does that mean?
Well, the OP didn't give us enough details to be able to say why his engine is un-repairable, but I think he means it needs to be rebuilt. Although, if warped bad enough, the head can definitely be un-repairable, you would need a new head and swap the internals.

But I agree, he does sound like he is a troll. :dunno:

probably means he drove it till it seized? my guess ... and well id say that happens with other cars too ... afterall i do take it that even honda engines will die if you drive it without a rad fan and keep driving it while overheated for an extended period of time.
and no reason why noobs shouldnt drive bmws ... afterall if you dont drive or get one youll be a noob forever aye? get it ... make a few mistakes along the way and learn from it and try not to doit it again... esp the expensive mistakes
This guy is clearly the n00b of n00bs. For one, he didn't notice the car didn't have an engine fan before buying the car, and two, even after the temperature indicator showed that the motor is overheating, he continued to drive it to the point where his mechanic said his motor won't be repairable. I'm not saying one needs to be a mechanic to drive a BMW, but at least the most common knowledge of motors is necassary. Everyone and their grandmas should know that when the needle creeps past the middle, to shut down the engine.

I bet if the oil light ever came on with him driving, he would probably think its telling him the air is low in his tires. :tsk:

·
Registered
182 Posts
overheating

you should see steam pouring out of thhe engine too

my sister overheated a car, all the spark plug wires melted

·
Registered
103 Posts
Heres my 2 cents.... I just bought a 1992 320I with 85373 miles on it.... And I made the guy replace the engine.... I had to fight with him but it happened.... Secondly you could just look at the engine and tell it was trashed.... Ill bet it looked like he dumped the engine in a tar pit.... a dirty engine is pretty much an automatic clue there is somethig wrong with it.... So a new engine is probably your best bet.... suck it up and drive on.... or crush it.... and start over....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts