Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so first off, I know it was stupid. And had I really been paying attention, I would NOT have done it. But saying that, what's done is done.

So my friend recently picked up a 2003 or 04 M5. Very nice car, wouldn't I love to have one. So we were getting on I4 in Lake Mary (the worst cop infested strip of road in the state I think) and his nose is about at my bumper in the other lane. So he punches it, and I figure what the hell and punch it myself thinking it would be a short run. No, there were no cars around. It was late, and stupid. I was sober, and had not been drinking.

I keep him back almost a car length till he suddenly stops accelerating. I had just shifted to 6th gear after redlining 5th. (Yes, I know it's stupid)

But I always thought that the M5 would do better in the higher speed runs than it did. Granted I didn't walk away from him, but I was inching a bit here and there. I really thought we were doing at most 110 or so when I realized I was shifting in to 6th instead of 4th. He his is speed limiter which is why he dropped off so suddenly. I assumed the worst, came to my senses and hit the brakes.

What did I learn?

One, never go that fast again.

Two, the Ground Control suspension is amazing, and so much better than stock at high speed.

Three, The E36 M3s die off at 130, the M5s don't.

Four, that 3.73 really does make a difference in top end acceleration, or at least it feels like it. Pulls strong till about an indicated 165 ish where I let off.

Five, I was very lucky not to get a ticket. Because it was cop infested area. And that my free pass card has been punched. No more speeding for a while.

So the extra 110 ft lbs or torque don't help on top end acceleration at 100+mph? Just curious. I know the coupe shines on the low end, but the top end was good too.

·
Banned
0 Posts
:eeps: Not saying I have ever experienced such a situation. But "I imagine" It makes you do a double take when a seemingly superior car hit its limiter just as you are taking off. I bet with a LW flywheel the M5 woulda pulled you a little better.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normally everyone gives up around 120 so I just kept waiting for him to give up. And he didn't. I wasnt watching the speedo either. Next time gotta watch the speedo. Never redlined 5th before though. That was sweet. I remember looking down after I realized I was in 6th and thinking "holy ****!" Braked back down to 70 gradually. Didnt want to slam them on.

Love that suspension.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The M5 weights close to 4,000 lbs. sort of a porker. I had an e39 540, and it was about 3,800 lbs. Chews through tires pretty fast.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sands said:
The M5 weights close to 4,000 lbs. sort of a porker. I had an e39 540, and it was about 3,800 lbs. Chews through tires pretty fast.
I have a E39 540i, and boy do I know about going through tires.......and just think I'm looking to get a E39 M5 in Spring. :D

·
Certified Organic Fanatic
2,544 Posts
Mpire said:
Ok, so first off, I know it was stupid. And had I really been paying attention, I would NOT have done it. But saying that, what's done is done.

So my friend recently picked up a 2003 or 04 M5. Very nice car, wouldn't I love to have one. So we were getting on I4 in Lake Mary (the worst cop infested strip of road in the state I think) and his nose is about at my bumper in the other lane. So he punches it, and I figure what the hell and punch it myself thinking it would be a short run. No, there were no cars around. It was late, and stupid. I was sober, and had not been drinking.

I keep him back almost a car length till he suddenly stops accelerating. I had just shifted to 6th gear after redlining 5th. (Yes, I know it's stupid)

But I always thought that the M5 would do better in the higher speed runs than it did. Granted I didn't walk away from him, but I was inching a bit here and there. I really thought we were doing at most 110 or so when I realized I was shifting in to 6th instead of 4th. He his is speed limiter which is why he dropped off so suddenly. I assumed the worst, came to my senses and hit the brakes.

What did I learn?

One, never go that fast again.

Two, the Ground Control suspension is amazing, and so much better than stock at high speed.

Three, The E36 M3s die off at 130, the M5s don't.

Four, that 3.73 really does make a difference in top end acceleration, or at least it feels like it. Pulls strong till about an indicated 165 ish where I let off.

Five, I was very lucky not to get a ticket. Because it was cop infested area. And that my free pass card has been punched. No more speeding for a while.

So the extra 110 ft lbs or torque don't help on top end acceleration at 100+mph? Just curious. I know the coupe shines on the low end, but the top end was good too.

What a GREAT story! I wish I had been there. Just reading your words got my adrenaline pumping and my heart racing. :thumbup:

Not to take anything away from your Coupe... do you think there is any possibility that the other driver was being a woosy?

I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel of an '03 M5 as well as an '01 coupe... and when it comes to speeds above 100mph... the M5 will generally make most everything else look rather silly all the way to 180+ (assuming the gov is gone, as it was in the M5 I've driven) so maybe your friend was less comfortable with his driving abilities... maybe? :dunno:

Again... great story. I'm glad you took the time to share... I only wish you had a video to accompany it. :thumbup:

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get the feeling he was doing all he could. But then again, my car is no slouch. Its nice to know you have the fastest car in the club... :)

Needless to say, I wont be running him again any time soon.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL... Thats a good one. I probably would have faired better had I downshifted to 3rd before hitting the gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts