BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to dump rfts and I have already replaced 3 tires already due to bubbles. Looks like tires get bubbles even by hitting a small hole.

Any suggestions on non rft's which will last longer and are also good in the snow/dry weather .

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
I have decided to dump rfts and I have already replaced 3 tires already due to bubbles. Looks like tires get bubbles even by hitting a small hole.

Any suggestions on non rft's which will last longer and are also good in the snow/dry weather .
I replaced the RFTs with Pirelli P_Zero Nero M&S. At 14,000 miles they show negligable wear. They are quiet, smooth and predictable, good in the wet and mediocre in the snow. They ride much better than the RFTs but will not solve the Pothole explosions issue. I have had to replace three of them due to pot hole damage.

CA

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow you already replaced three of them already that sucks. What brand of tire at least will take some impact from potholes. I think bmw is not doing a good job of putting these tires on these cars.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
18" tires + potholes + driving through said potholes= bubbles

brand doesnt matter. not hitting potholes does.

·
7,959 Posts

I agree with most of what you are saying here. It's the $175 Vs $370 per tire price tag that sent me over the edge. That and the spine jarring ride of the RFTs'.

·
7,959 Posts
BLT what tires you have know which cost $175 a piece.
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. $175.99 each. By the time they were mounted and balanced (with road hazard warranty) it ended up being $253.50 per tire. The total bill for two was $507.76 after CA tax etc. The RFTs would have been twice that amount.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts

If you are in NYC or a similar drivng environment (hell?) tire and wheel insurance is an absolute necessity.

CA

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are good all season tires , has anyone tried putting little extra air in the tires to lessen the impact of hitting potholes .

Can anyone recomend what insurance they use for the tire and rim ?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport. $175.99 each. By the time they were mounted and balanced (with road hazard warranty) it ended up being $253.50 per tire. The total bill for two was $507.76 after CA tax etc. The RFTs would have been twice that amount.
I have been looking at these as well. How do they ride compared to the Bridgestone RFT's?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BLT
Can you mix and match tires have 2 potenza and 2 sports . I am guessing that's fine as long they are staggered .
How do they ride compared to Potenza 's

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Don't mix & match different tires as the rubber friction & rolling diameters are different and the DTC/DSC won't work right. After all, the manual even says never mix different tires...
And don't be cheap - get non RFT tires and a mobility kit from Continental or get a spare tire from the Tischer!.

I just put on my 16" winter wheels a set of 4 Continental ExtremeContiContact tires for $125 each installed, mounted, lifetime balance, road hazard insurance (well worth the $11 cost), taxes, etc... $500 total for a complete set of nice running, smooth, no more jarring ride tires! Go to Tire Rack.com ! I have Auto Club and love them for any type of road hazards! In return for the low cost of non RFT tires, I gained the sprit of driving a BMW ! No more dodging potholes & bumps!

This fall after I run out the RFT tread on my 18" summer tires which will go on this week, I will be getting a set of either Pirelli asymmetrical directional or Goodyear directional summer tires.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No I wasn't going to mix and match just wanted to see how BLT had 2 potenza and 2 sports on his car. Did anyone tried putting little bit extra air in the tires to see if it helps with the potholes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts