BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So says our trusty MY2009+ navigation with that downgrade of a Tele Atlas map database we get. Despite the many other lapses of the new nav listed in other posts, this is a *definitive* example of how we've been robbed! This omission is too blatant to be dismissed. It should be a warranty repair to replace the database. :mad:

Details:
Actually, there are over 7500 DD operating in the USA (not in all states). Evidently DD locations in Canada are still in business, per our dear database. I was pretty thorough to cover the land area and in case there is a bug in the system when searching outside a state's borders. Check for yourself. Even park in a DD parking lot and search!

Please share your obvious POIs that the 2009 HDD nav left out!

No USA DD stores within a 1000mile radius of the following cities (all categories searched via name "Dunkin"). Example of search in progress attached.

Navigation Version 1.2.8, North America Premium 2009-1
Birmingham, AL
Juneau, AK
Phoenix, AZ
Little Rock, AR
Los Angeles, CA
Denver, CO
Hartford, CT
Dover, DE
Washington, DC
Orlando, FL
Atlanta, GA
Honolulu, HI
Boise, ID
Chicago, IL
Indianapolis, IN
Des Moines, IA
Bavaria, KS
Lexington, KY
New Orleans, LA
Augusta, ME
Baltimore, MD
Worcester, MA
Lansing, MI
St. Paul, MN
Jackson, MS
Jefferson City, MO
Billings, MT
Lincoln, NE
Las Vegas, NV
Manchester, NH
Newark, NJ
Albuquerque, NM
Buffalo, NY
New York City, NY
Raleigh, NC
Bismarck, ND
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City, OK
Salem, OR
Pittsburgh, PA
San Juan, PR
Providence, RI
Columbia, SC
Sioux Falls, SD
Nashville, TN
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Burlington, VT
Lynchburg, VA
Seattle, WA
Charleston, WV
Madison, WI
Jackson, WY

Attachments

·
Cockney Curmudgeon
1,335 Posts
I couldn't find a McDonalds on the iDrive the other day while in Hanover PA - at least within 500 miles.. I whipped out my Palm Pre and used that to take me to the nearest one lol.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,412 Posts
Where are we gonna cruise for status kills?

·
Registered
432 Posts
It was pretty crappy coffee wasn't it?

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I had no problem finding Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds on Idrive. It found every Dunkin donuts out here in LA in about 30 seconds. Go to the POI search and tell it you want a restaurant.

Oh, and I'm running 2009-2, and Nav 1.46.

I still can't get it to find a damn autoparts store, but that is another issue.

Oh, and if you want to know what BMW was so kind as to give me the latest data and Nav software at no extra cost, it is because I had a CIC failure and the entire unit was replaced.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't find a McDonalds on the iDrive the other day while in Hanover PA - at least within 500 miles.. I whipped out my Palm Pre and used that to take me to the nearest one lol.
I should check for that one, too! I can't find public parks, bagel shops...Much of what is missing now was in the NavTeq databases pre-MY2009.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
Guys - I think you are having problems because you need to drill down into the subcategories to enhance the accuracy of Idrive. Search for McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, whatever, from the proper subcategory and it finds it every time.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had no problem finding Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds on Idrive. It found every Dunkin donuts out here in LA in about 30 seconds. Go to the POI search and tell it you want a restaurant.

Oh, and I'm running 2009-2, and Nav 1.46.
It must be that you have a new nav version. As I listed, 2009-1 finds none in/around LA. How did you get ver 1.4.6 and databse 2009-2?? That last re-program you had? I wish Jspira was around to give us the skinny on 1.2.8 vs. 1.4.6.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys - I think you are having problems because you need to drill down into the subcategories to enhance the accuracy of Idrive. Search for McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, whatever, from the proper subcategory and it finds it every time.
So that you don't inadvertantly skip entries by drilling down too much, select All Categories. From past iDrive experiences, it is not wise to trust how they categorize POIs. If I find out that a subcategory gets a hit where All categories does not, then that's a bug and an SIB for sure! I'll check in the AM.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
It must be that you have a new nav version. As I listed, 2009-1 finds none in/around LA. How did you get ver 1.4.6 and databse 2009-2?? That last re-program you had? I wish Jspira was around to give us the skinny on 1.2.8 vs. 1.4.6.
I brought in the attached photo, which they thought was so strange that they updated the data and NAV system.

Of course, my entire CIC had to be replaced a few days later anyway - because of a popping noise in the CD player.

All that said, I still think the problem is that you need to drill down into the subcategories. The search is much more efficient that way.

I understand your concerns - I just found that search for some things (namely places to eat) worked better that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I forwarded this to my boy. he is probably crying right now and maybe attempting suicide. He double fists dunkin donut ice coffees on the regular

·
In Heaven
2,971 Posts
It only comes as a software update with the ligths and siren Police option...:rofl:

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
Wow. Maybe it's time to cut back on the coffee.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah I tried to find a restaraunt the other day and it routed me to the CLOSEST one and I think I past about 4-5 on the way there LOL. 2 McDonalds, a Burger King, a Subway and another one. But the Wendy's was the closest and only one listed in fast foods. What is up with that? What am I doing wrong ?!?!?!

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
I use my droid. It is a superior navigation device. At $200 - I get a phone, navigation, games, office lite apps, price shopper, and more - basically a portable computer. At $2,000 for BMW nav - you get a nav device that is only updated when they release updates and if you pay for them and being closed source will incur many limitations.

The iNav is one system I actually *DON'T* want....while there are some systems I will take even if not desired (because the rest of the car/deal is great), iNav is one of those things that will make me say "hm, man i think it sucks, and it is another component that may break...screw this".

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
+1

I use my droid. It is a superior navigation device. At $200 - I get a phone, navigation, games, office lite apps, price shopper, and more - basically a portable computer. At $2,000 for BMW nav - you get a nav device that is only updated when they release updates and if you pay for them and being closed source will incur many limitations.

The iNav is one system I actually *DON'T* want
Exactly. My iPhone makes a cheap, flexible, always-up-to-date navigation system. As long as BMW offers Navigation and Automatic transmissions as options, I'll continue to be a BMW buyer. But those are deal breakers for me.

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 X3 3.0i (sport, premium, xenons, manual, park distance, etc...)

·
Bad Lieutenant
6,358 Posts
Looks like BMW and iDrive are trying to tell you/us something about eating crappy food? Maybe they want to keep their cars heavy and keep the drivers and passengers lighter? Maybe it's the Obama administration influence so the health care industry doesn't bear the brunt of fat people doing free gastric bypass surgeries to drop the fat but keep the skin? :)

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
LOL! I saw the thread title and wondered how this didn't get bounced to Off Topic. Then I see it is tied right into a possible oversight in the Nav system. Well done!

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
You can see how much disdain BMW engineers have for coffee by the design of the coffee cup holders...a truly American innovation! :rofl:

Perhaps the Nav thing with McD's and DD is actually the software designers anticipating that one can drive 500-1000yds and see the yellow hoops just about everywhere in the States, so why would you need the for navigation help?

[Although, it is fair to say that some of the keenest owners can't be bothered to read the book that comes with the car! :dunno:]

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Did they include all Wienerschnitzel restaurants? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts