Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first experience with a Nav system was in a rental car. I loved that it told me the street names:

"In 1 quarter of a mile, turn right onto Calabassas Street".

Is it possible to set the DVD nav to do this? The manual is such a living nightmare to try and read, that I doubt I'll ever make it that far.

(Note: im aware the street name is on the iDrive screen. This other nav system both spoke it and displayed it)

Thanks!

-N-

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
...if you turn on the nav voice, it will speak to you as to where to turn, as well as show an arror pointing in the direction of the turn on the right side screen while the street is displayed on the left screen...i've only had it on once the first day i picked up the car so i dont remember if it says the street name or just says to make a right coming up for example, but it does speak to you ...you should be able to turn the voice on by pressing the diamond button on the right side of the steering wheel, as that was the default value for that button...you can also check to see if the diamond is set for this by pressing the iDrive button when you have the main menu first on....go into vehicle settings and check that the diamond is set for this function and then you can control it at the wheel...:thumbup:

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Specifically was asking if it says street names out loud. Default it does not. Major benefit to this. Major major. Trying to coordinate lane changes and estimate where the street is that you have to turn on is enough to do. Having to look down and visually search for the name of the street is a total Pain in the Ass. Especially in heavy traffic with fast, irritated drivers around you. Just saying "Turn right in 500 ft" leaves me at a loss. Means nothing. Might as well all be written, since I have to search for the writing anyways.

Is there a setting to turn on street name vocals?

-N-

·
Registered
427 Posts
On my setup, it will say, "Turn right in a quarter mile onto US Highway 65" or something like that. It seems to do it on highways and interstates that have numbers, but not for street names like Wilshire or Santa Monica Boulevard.

My wife's Audi puts the turn information on the little screen between the gauges, but I can't recall if it speaks the street name.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Nevervana,

I don't believe there is any setting that will cause the system to verbalize non-numeric street names. You will get interstate/hwy (numeric) names though. I agree with you... it would be helpful. Or as a second best alternative, in our Lexus, there is a quick double beep right before you turn that is helpful.

HUD display does show the turn information though, which is great. Do you have that?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
XZLR8 said:
Nevervana,
HUD display does show the turn information though, which is great. Do you have that?
I noticed your sig after I sent that post.

I have been very impressed with HUD. When I ordered the option, I thought it was going to be just a cool nonsense gadget, but I am so glad that I did. I miss it terribly when I drive the 745.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do have heads up display.

I really have no excuse. But scenarios arise where I am talking to someone, distracted, and used to relying on the voice prompts.

Going 50mph, in the wrong lane, lots of traffic to squeeze through, and suddenly it reminds you "Turn right in 500 feet". You look and there's a few right turns coming up. No idea which one to take. Navigating the lane changes, the traffic, and taking your eyes off all that to find the street name written somewhere - I've missed a few turns because of that scenario.

It was a huge plus to have the street name read to you. Maybe in future 6'ers :)

-N-

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nevervana said:
I do have it, but again, when you're talking to your co-passenger, and relying solely on voice prompts, and are distracted, and ............. driving 50 mph and it tells you "Turn right in 500 feet" .... and immediatley there is a right turn available .... and then another one .... and you dont know which one it is....

Gotta get over 2 lanes, with cars around you, so you navigate that situation and speed up or slow down to get over, and still you dont know which road you're going to turn on. So amidst all that you have to take your eyes off the road and visually search for the street name, digest it, then finally start looking for signs.

I have missed quite a few turns because of that scenario. I remember always feeling like "Turn right in 500 feet" was utterly useless.

It was just beautiful to be driving, and hear "Turn right in 500 feet onto Fleetwood Drive". Simply look for the sign and turn.

Old dog - new Tricks.

-N-
I found this to be a siginificant issue driving in Europe when I picked up my car. Also missed several turns due to ambiguous directions given in feet rather than naming the street.

·
Nothing witty here
2,604 Posts
The 6 only says turns and says the numbers on highways but not names of streets. I had a Garmin street pilot and it doesn't say names either. But with technology the way it is with computer reading, who knows what it will say. Just look to the voice control technology and you'll see that it's still a long ways off.

I have been using my bluetooth hands free for a long time and I still only get what I want 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time I either turn the phone off or I call someone totally way off from what I wanted.

Try explaining to the wife why you called her when you were trying to dial your "other" friend after you told your wife you were "busy".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts